• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I found a 1975 d high mint mark.

7 posts in this topic

Hello i am new to coin collecting but i have done a little research on key dates on coins I think i just found a rare 1975 d high mint nickle. Can you please help and let me know if i found one or its just a regular d mint nickle. thanks

IMAG0184.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's close but not quite highly placed enough to be labeled as the Misplaced Mintmark variety. Here's the real deal:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/nickels/jefferson-five-cents-1938-date/819769/

5 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

The MM were hand punched until 1990 so they can be anywhere in that area. Yours is a little higher than normal but not high enough to be called the high MM

20160123_1975-D_MMs_MD.jpg

thanks but do you think it could be worth a bit more than a regular low mint cause it is still not a complete low mint 

I'm pretty sure this is the "High D" 1975 nickel but I would like verification from someone smarter than me! It appears that "value" really isn't established yet since there have been so few that have sold so anyone wanting to guess at it would be appreciated!

1975 D Jefferson.jpg

reverse 1975 D.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mountain Coast said:

I'm pretty sure this is the "High D" 1975 nickel but I would like verification from someone smarter than me! It appears that "value" really isn't established yet since there have been so few that have sold so anyone wanting to guess at it would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, in the future please start your own thread as it makes it difficult when multiple coins are shown especially when the thread is older.  Your photos appear out of focus on my screen but it does look to be a high mm coin.  I have no idea on the value as I don't collect errors, however your coin has a significant number of cuts, hits, and abrasions  and that will affect the value somewhat.   I suggest that you search the Heritage archives for any auctions for this to get a feel for a value.

It is the "high mintmark".  I don't know if these really have any collectible value.  These came to notice when Q David Bowers saw one and found the unusual placement of the mintmark interesting.  He made an offer of $1,000 for the first person that could provide him with an uncirculated specimen.  I am sure that reward has long since been collected.  As far as I know this "variety" has no price guide listings of any sort but it is still remembered because of that old reward offer.