• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type Coin Challenge

19 posts in this topic

I've been collecting type coins off and on for a very long time. Lacking imagination, hadn't until recently challenged myself, adding to the fun, by combining type with other sets of interest. I recently completed a 1912 birth year set to honor my father, including gold. In so doing I collected a Liberty nickel, all the Barbers and four 20th century gold types. I assembled an 1859 proof set (no gold, no 3c), which included an IHC (one year type), stars obverse 5c and 10c, and no motto 25c, 50c and $1.00. Did my own birth year, 1945, to add a nicer Merc and Walker. Did a 1939 proof set to commemorate my parents marriage year. If I had thought of it earlier there are other proof and birth (or other) year sets that would have looked neat together, but I already had many of the types covered and not needing upgrades. I'm probably going to hear that this is old hat, but the approach is new to me and may be to others. Now, to find out when my great-great grandmother was born...I need to upgrade some of my early type. 

Edited by LINCOLNMAN

Not my long suit but I'll give it a shot. Out of town until next week. These sets present very well, not like the old days but better than sticking them in a box in one's SDB.

21 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Got pictures? :smile:

On 8/22/2019 at 7:26 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

Not my long suit but I'll give it a shot. Out of town until next week. These sets present very well, not like the old days but better than sticking them in a box in one's SDB.

Sorry about the quality and any other lameness. 1859 proof set, 1912 and 1918 birth sets (parents)

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

52 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Those look like some really nice sets. (thumbsu

Thank you, lots of fun putting together. Labels are a hopeful addition - hope the kids or grandkids at least take a look. Maybe I'll do a display one day. Have a bunch of type sets assembled, but these are the only year sets other than the younger folks' birth years. Wish I had thought of the year /type concept sooner, but $$. 

29 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Very nice looking sets, this is my mom's birth year set from 1940, very much along the same concept as you are doing.

Display-tray2.jpg

Display-tray3.jpg

Very nice. I like the idea of doing MMs as well as dates. Oh shoot, now you've got me thinking of doing that for my wife and me - 1945 and 1947, so not tough. I did all S mints since we were both born there. Love the boxes. 

Lincolnman, if you ever image those coins individually, please post them. I would love to see close-ups of those 1859 proof coins. (and the others, as well) :)

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Lincolnman, if you ever image those coins individually, please post them. I would love to see close-ups of those 1859 proof coins. (and the others, as well) :)

Here are two that have True Views: 1859 10c and 1859 $1.00. Interestingly, IMO both look better in hand, but proofs are tough to capture. 

36898999_Large.jpg

37651047_Large.jpg

On 8/22/2019 at 6:21 AM, LINCOLNMAN said:

I've been collecting type coins off and on for a very long time. Lacking imagination, hadn't until recently challenged myself, adding to the fun, by combining type with other sets of interest. I recently completed a 1912 birth year set to honor my father, including gold. In so doing I collected a Liberty nickel, all the Barbers and four 20th century gold types. I assembled an 1859 proof set (no gold, no 3c), which included an IHC (one year type), stars obverse 5c and 10c, and no motto 25c, 50c and $1.00. Did my own birth year, 1945, to add a nicer Merc and Walker. Did a 1939 proof set to commemorate my parents marriage year. If I had thought of it earlier there are other proof and birth (or other) year sets that would have looked neat together, but I already had many of the types covered and not needing upgrades. I'm probably going to hear that this is old hat, but the approach is new to me and may be to others. Now, to find out when my great-great grandmother was born...I need to upgrade some of my early type. 

Got pictures?