• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial Quarters Mint Mark Error

5 posts in this topic

Is this being ignored ??? By NGC and PCGS? They have to know these error coins exist I mean come on. This is a really cool error coin and they're really scarce as I have only seen 1 other person on a coin forum asking about what was going on with his coin and what was it. Years ago somebody posted a picture of his coin on this website called www.coinauctionshelp.com and nobody knew what was going on they figured the coin had been damaged in circulation. Well fast forward to 2019. Here I am in the same spot he is. I imaged this coin minting error with a Keyence microscope and took an angled professional shot to show this is the real deal and unchecked minting error not being picked up by the coin community why IDK?. I have called NGC and PCGS to try to talk to anybody for help but no help is found at all. I found this quarter in a bank roll while doing my laundry. I always check my coins and when I seen this I was like wth what is going on with the mint mark hmm and then here we are. You can clearly see a hollow raised D on the right side of the mint mark 100%. I am a Failure Analysis Technician  in real life and this failure is 100% minting error thanks and please respond.

d4.jpg

Looks like a damaged mint mark (the scratches and filled center) and some die deterioration doubling ( the ghost "D" to the right of the mint mark.) The filled mint mark may also be the result of die wear or damage to the center post of the "D" on the die.

Exactly Ive seen this coin error on another coin somebody posted a picture of I really have no idea why this coin hasn't been addressed it's weird

You will probably see this on multiple thousands of coins minted in Denver. It is caused by a broken post on the D mintmark. This is very common and certainly doesn't warrant any special consideration as it adds no value to the coin. In your case it looks like the break has been filed down as it should protrude above the devise