• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Wheat Penny
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I am not sure if these two 1956 wheat pennies have errors so I just wanted to check. You can see the mint marks in these two coins touching the “9” in 1956. I have provided a picture of one of the pennies, and another 1956 penny that I recognised as having normal spacing. Please tell me if this is an error or if this is generally normal.

028B91E1-3DC2-4BDC-9FDD-C6DD2574991E.jpeg

BD91A951-0E6A-4235-B168-100A9373A53C.jpeg

BAM!  A well written coinworld article on the very subject of mint mark locations:  https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2012/12/case-of-the-moving-mint-mark.html

In short, it's normal for the mint mark to be in different locations.  Peace Dollars are a pretty good example of random placement.  There was another article I read that mentioned mint standards for placement but can't locate it currently.  Maybe it was in a magazine.

Anyhow, the only misplaced mint mark I can recall of that's "important" would be the 1975-D Jefferson.

But there is something special about the touching D of the 56D that people seem to get excited about. I don't know that it has a premium but I'm about to google it and find out.

Welp, I can't find anything except in other forums. BUT...the general concensus seems to be that if the D is up high between the 9 and 5 it's a good chance the coin has a DDO. I know my friend Ken found one a few weks ago and WA super excited about it.