• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1857 Half Dime Error?

6 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I recently purchased a half dime that appears to have an error. Being new to collecting I don't know if it is worth keeping, getting graded, or giving to the grandkids to play with. Any help is appreciated. Error is obvious on reverse with lines by the H in half and other by the m. Pictures aren't very good but the best I could get.

Thanks,

Ron

half dime error.jpg

obverse.jpg

Hard to tell what is going on between the H & A. The M is just damage.

Certainly worth keeping as it is 90% silver and worth between $20-25.00. Not worth getting graded, it would cost more than the coin is worth.

What you are seeing is referred to as a Die Clash. The obverse and reverse dies came together without a planchet between them , and the design of the obverse die was transferred to the reverse die. This design was then transferred to the coins which were struck from those dies. What you see between the "H" and the "A", are the horizontal lines of the shield on the obverse.

Edited by Just Bob
Got the sides mixed up

5 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

What you are seeing is referred to as a Die Clash. The obverse and reverse dies came together without a planchet between them , and the design of the reverse die was transferred to the obverse die. This design was then transferred to the coins which were struck from those dies. What you see between the "H" and the "A", are the horizontal lines of the shield on the reverse.

Thanks Just Bob,

I thought it was something like that. Is it worth anything? Going t keep in collection just because it is unusual and pretty.

Ron

Sorry about getting my obverse and reverse mixed up in the above post. I went back and corrected it. :blush:

As far as a die clash adding to the value of a coin, it's not terribly uncommon on Seated coinage, but it probably does add a few dollars, for novelty's sake. It's definitely a keeper.

And, welcome to the Forum! :hi:

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

Sorry about getting my obverse and reverse mixed up in the above post. I went back and corrected it. :blush:

As far as a die clash adding to the value of a coin, it's not terribly uncommon on Seated coinage, but it probably does add a few dollars, for novelty's sake. It's definitely a keeper.

And, welcome to the Forum! :hi:

Bob,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Think I am going to like coin collecting!