• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 P Dime with some scratches? Planchet Error?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I was wondering if ya'll can help me on this.  1984 P Dime with scratch on the reverse. Could it could just be a scratched panchet before the strike. 

But I am not an expert on dimes.  

20190809_170424.jpg

Edited by Dukemnm
Not Post mint damage, it came from mint set. Corrected Typo.

Ok, Update, this was from a Mint set. I can also see some doubling, but I will have to take a second look at it to make sure it is not MD. YOu can See it on The E-PLURIBUS-UNUM lettering. Some in the C and A in America. and CA are closed. ( not sure if CA should be that close together.) you can also notice doubling on the leaves to the right of the reverse, (see last Image). 

Ok. I agree that those are just abrasions from polishing, either of the Die or of the Coin, either way is nothing good. No Doubling. Only MD. I am not great at spotting DD'sof the letters and numbers but I know plenty about MD. This may make sense to you and apparently does to everyone but me...a DD will appear to add (oh brain fart) appear to add a kind of fullness to the character while MD takes the fullness away leaving the characters looking empty. Get it? I don't, but like I said-seems everyone else does. 

Have you looked online at other '84 P Dimes and compared them? Did I ask if you roll hunt or look only at pocket change? Very important to know the answer to that question. Otherwise I wouldn't ask it.

10 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

DD will appear to add (oh brain fart) appear to add a kind of fullness to the character while MD takes the fullness away leaving the characters looking empty. Get it?

I don't get it, The part of leaving it empty. I do get how the DD could add to the character. Specially after how MD would look flat and real DD would would be rounded in the doubling. I think that is what adds to the character, the roundness looks much more appealing that a flat shifted surface. I might begin to understand. I think. Any way. I do look at my pocket change and I roll hunt, However, this dime came from a mint set. 

The coin is now in my Roosevelt dime folder. 

11 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Have you looked online at other '84 P Dimes and compared them

I have not found much on the die polishing marks. Only other one I've heard of was a 2017 and a 2018 P. I'm thinking that Philadelphia QA is not very good. But i have noticed that Denver coins have better appeal. 

Thank you all for the help. I love it here. 

50 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

I'm thinking that Philadelphia QA is not very good.

You're thinking correctly. The Mint has three divisions; circulation, bullion, and numismatic. In the circulation coin division, Quality is, unlike the old Ford slogan, Job About 485.

Lol! Imho Philly puts out the worst quality coins as far as strength or the strike. But sometimes theirs are more shiny than Denver but Denver coins have a more crisp strike. I think so anyway. Some my disagree. I hate Mint Set. I have often found circulated coins with less damage. If I can't ha e a Proof set I'll not have a set at all. Did I not link you up to error-ref.com ? I surely meant to. Just hit the link and search 'Die Polishing' and it should explain it to you. Those are other types of youtubes videos I like-the ones that show the workings inside a Mint Facility. Some day I will make it to Philly and take a tour.

As far as my 'empty' description, it is the same as your 'flat'. Sometimes I have difficulty finding my words which is why I tend to drone on trying to explain myself.

If you get the chance, check out a San Francisco ATB quarter of the so-called "circulation quality" type, not a proof. They are struck on a press originally used for proof coins, at a GREATLY reduced striking speed than at P or D, but at the same pressure. The increased time in contact with the dies "does something" to them. They are almost universally REALLY nice pieces.

6 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

If you get the chance, check out a San Francisco ATB quarter of the so-called "circulation quality" type, not a proof. They are struck on a press originally used for proof coins, at a GREATLY reduced striking speed than at P or D, but at the same pressure. The increased time in contact with the dies "does something" to them. They are almost universally REALLY nice pieces.

I wish SF made more coins for circulation because there is definitely something special about them. Maybe the fact they are starting to do little specialties at West point is a clue that they may start doing more at SF.

Hey Duke, scratch that I said about polishing being covered on err-ref, it's not there. Ooops!

47 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I wish SF made more coins for circulation because there is definitely something special about them. Maybe the fact they are starting to do little specialties at West point is a clue that they may start doing more at SF.

Hey Duke, scratch that I said about polishing being covered on err-ref, it's not there. Ooops!

Funny thing is that when SF used to produce circulation coins they were the worst quality of the final 3 (P, D, & S) which is why they were switched over to proof production only.  Or at least that's what I recall reading somewhere along the way.

In the olden days, San Francisco had the reputation for setting their dies juuuuuust a little too far apart, to extend die life. That led to soft strikes. Now, they are bustin' down on those planchets REALLY hard. San Francisco ATB quarters are struck VERTICALLY, while Philly and Denver strike theirs HORIZONTALLY. West Point? I do not know.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, VKurtB said:

The increased time in contact with the dies "does something" to them.

It gives the metal more time to "flow" and fill the dies and rim.  The metal takes a certain time to fill the dies.  When you run the presses faster that time isn't there so they do two things to try and make up for it.  You can reduced the relief so the metal doesn't have to go as far, or you can increase the pressure.  But increasing the pressure only works to a certain extent.  After a certain point hitting it harder just makes the planchet "hit back" harder it doesn't really move faster, inertia maybe, and it is just harder on the dies and you get shorter die life.