• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World Coin identity

7 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, planner said:

I need help to identify.  I have searched but cannot find anything.  I only have a picture and no other info.

If it's not this one, it might be another of Trajan's sestertii.

Welcome to the Forum.

You will find that, when it comes to ancients, JKK really knows his stuff.

Here is some information about Trajan's Bridge from "The E-sylum," published by the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. It is an excerpt from an article by Mike Markowitz, which appeared in the December 29th edition of COINWEEK.

Trajan’s Bridge
By far the most famous Roman bridge to appear on a coin is the Danube River bridge built by Emperor Trajan in 103–105 CE for his conquest of Dacia, north of the river. Designed by the famed Apollodorus of Damascus, it was 1,135 meters (3,724 ft.) long. Twenty massive stone and concrete piers joined by timber arches carried the roadway 19 meters (62 feet) above the surface of the river.

trajansbridge The bridge appears on three different denominations struck c. 107-110: a sestertius, a dupondius and an as. The coins only show one arch of the bridge, and the engraver misunderstood the structure--it seems to be a two-storied covered bridge. Modern reconstructions assume the roadway was level and open–topped, supported by radially braced double wooden arches. The massive towers topped by statuary at each end are probably correct; such towers made it easier to defend the bridge against attackers.

Trajan’s bridge remained intact for only a few years. About 117, Hadrian ordered the timber arches dismantled to prevent Dacians from crossing to the south bank.

Some of the piers remain in place underwater (two were dynamited in 1906 to widen the navigation channel, others were swept away over the centuries). The ruins of the towers at either end are preserved as archaeological sites by Serbia and Romania, respectively.

49 minutes ago, planner said:

Thanks for the info.  I was able to decipher the coin and found it, thanks to your heads-up!!

How do you know what denomination it is?

On 8/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, JKK said:

How do you know what denomination it is?

Denomination?  I am looking at an online auction that shows one side only of the coin.  I think I can get it for about $10.