• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP WITH IDENTIFYING PROBLEM ON 1953 S NICKEL
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I understand that under PCGS price guide under variety’s that there is no double die for this date and mint mark. I found a roll of them in a collection I bought and a lot of them look like this. Is this a normal look or is something off.

42718A49-1DFF-48D1-916E-92680C18D9AA.png

56D2EC56-2567-4E08-A783-7ECB8BD0EAE9.png

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Doubling? No. Maybe a wee bit o' "spreading out". These hubs and dies were used HARD, unforgivably so.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Doubling? No. Maybe a wee bit o' "spreading out". These hubs and dies were used HARD, unforgivably so.

While I got you here do you mind telling me if you see doubling on the back of the neck of this peace dollar. If so if there is a notable variety

DF4EE79C-8A20-4585-A422-40B9860279CA.png

E05F8AEA-7DB7-4B50-AE39-34C0A70EF585.png

I believe there are dirty varieties in the peace set no others found. But in this hobby nothing surprises me. Why can't yours and honestly I don't see one be dirty one. So I suggest to go a dealer. It may spread be listed. Thanks. Mike and lots of luck.

I've got to be honest with you guys. There really aren't lots of previously unfound varieties out there waiting to be found. There just aren't. It's primarily fiction! Does it happen a couple of times per year or so? Sure. But it's like trying to hit it big with lottery tickets! Even Wexler names a bunch of varieties that NO third party grader will certify. This doubling mania has gotten out of hand, guys.

Hafta agree with VKurtB

If that was a true Doubled Die, it surly would have been discovered in the last 97 years. Not sure how many were minted from that particular die but even if it was only 500,000, that's how many there would be out there waiting to be discovered.

Unless it is one of the major Doubled Dies (ie: 1955 Lincoln Cent), there is not much premium as there are so many minor ones out there and certainly not worth getting graded..

Edited by Greenstang

21 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I've got to be honest with you guys. There really aren't lots of previously unfound varieties out there waiting to be found. There just aren't. It's primarily fiction! Does it happen a couple of times per year or so? Sure. But it's like trying to hit it big with lottery tickets! Even Wexler names a bunch of varieties that NO third party grader will certify. This doubling mania has gotten out of hand, guys.

Agreed.  Die pairings is where it's at.

But I guess I can see the interest point to those outside the industry.  It's the price of entry for a lottery ticket.  Getting 2,500 circulating pennies from the bank to search through is a lot cheaper than picking up an old $25 bag of IHCs (which for the most part could all just stay in the bag as far as I'm concerned).

13 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Ima be a smarty pants now. Don't you get mad at me.

Yes there are! Yes there are! I have in my possession a 1999D DDR CT Quarter with 1 and maybe 3 extra branches that I'm about to send in. Just saying. But that's not why I came. 

I came for the 1953 Nickel. How come the Proof Nickels for the year were struck at Philly even though San Fran was perfectly capable at the time but didn't strike Proof Nickels?

Edited by KarenHolcomb
Cause I gotta be a smarty pants for VKurtB

Before 1968 ALL proofs, with only the rarest of counterexamples, were struck in Philadelphia. This San Francisco thing is a relatively new thing.

Now IMA be a smarty pants. There aren't varieties that MATTER out there waiting to be found, as you will soon learn. The current newbie fascination with incredibly minor varieties has NO SUPPORT in the larger numismatic community. "Real" "serious" varieties don't need high magnification. I just got back from a WEEK at a show with about 700 dealers. THREE listed errors an varieties as a specialty and NO ONE was running around with a USB microscope examining minor varieties. It is just not the mainstream you're working in here. It's a tiny niche.

Edited by VKurtB

5 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

There aren't varieties that MATTER out there waiting to be found

Why is that?  are you saying we should give up and not engage in the hunt? What else is there besides the thrill of it? 

What do you suggest people do instead? Attend a coin show and buy overpriced varieties from so called collectors looking to make a buck flipping it? 

It is apparent that you are not an educator and frankly it's annoying and demorazing when people post excitedly about their find. AS the saying goes, Teach a man how to fish. 

I can tell you that from experience, if it wasn't for the knowledge some folks here ( and how I admire all of them ) I would be posting images of every coin I find, however, it has been through their enlightenment and education that I can distinguish an interesting coin (for the most part) and post legit questions. Questions that I have not seen or know nothing about. some may be redundant as I gather experience. 

In short, you have a plethora of knowledge and I would love if you could share. I would love to learn from you. Teach me your collecting ways.

Well, for starters, it's NOT errors and/or varieties. I seek PERFECTION, or as close as I can get to it, not IMPERFECTION. I submitted 17 coins to NGC at Rosemont, Illinois. Not a single error or variety among them. Why? What am I looking for? VERY high MS or PF grades, some MS67, maybe some PF70. Hint: I do not do roll hunting. It's not my jam.

"It is apparent that you are not an educator"

Au contraire, my good man. I have given 7 talks at numismatic conventions. I sat through, with a companion, a session of Coin Collecting 101, taught by Rod Gillis, the Education Director at the ANA. Guess what. He never once mentioned scanning circulated coins for errors or varieties. It's pretty much an invention of the Internet crowd.

Have fun, but do understand that you are not finding things other numismatists want. To the extent there will ever BE a market for this type of material, you're pretty much going to need to create it for yourselves.

Edited by VKurtB

38 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Au contraire, my good man. I have given 7 talks at numismatic conventions. I sat through, with a companion, a session of Coin Collecting 101, taught by Rod Gillis, the Education Director at the ANA. Guess what. He never once mentioned scanning circulated coins for errors or varieties. It's pretty much an invention of the Internet crowd.

I stand corrected, you are an educator. 

Let me ask you the following questions.

When you look for the next coin to add to your collection, are you looking at modern coins or mostly classics? or whatever peeks your interests at a coin show or any other venue. 

If I am to get into coin collecting I want to do it right, not just hoard every thing that looks pretty. 

I am sorry @TON Collection for hijacking your thread with this questions, but perhaps @VKurtB I can message you and you can point me in the right directions.

What I am doing now, is gathering one for every year and mint mark, from Penny to a dollar, at the moment, I am not concern for the grade, just want to complete the collection, hence my coin hunting. Once I am done with that I can move into the high grades. 

In the hunt to complete my collection, I do come across some defects that I get curious about, so I ask here. it only helps me gather the knowledge to get to where you are @VKurtB . I think. 

Thank you for your time. 

~ Manuel 

P.S. I should post this on my Journal : D

No, no, no, no, no! Do not private message. I want to read all of it and I'm sure good TON wants to too. Maybe. Dang it. 

I too would love for all my coins to be perfect like m...nevermind...that's why I am only buying Proof sets now and I feel like my only collection has some pretty sweet Coins but I did have to lower my standards on it a bit because of how pricey they can get. I set out only wanting MS grades and wound up settling for mostly AU because of that darn SLQ-those things are ridonkulous but I do have a full head, but I also set a timeline for its completion. I suppose that's a main reason I error hunt, hoping to find that one coin, that one 1 and out or UFO as Wexler calls them-and I'm pretty sure I have one, that will fetch a good price and thus enable me to go full steam ahead for the beauties. You gotta start somewhere. There can be good money in an error if it is special. Sorry to rant. Sorry TON! 

On 8/7/2019 at 7:58 PM, TON Collection said:

I understand that under PCGS price guide under variety’s that there is no double die for this date and mint mark. I found a roll of them in a collection I bought and a lot of them look like this. Is this a normal look or is something off.

42718A49-1DFF-48D1-916E-92680C18D9AA.png

56D2EC56-2567-4E08-A783-7ECB8BD0EAE9.png

Hey TON, something I was told in my beginning that I did not want to hear was that the Big Graders start every coin out at MS70 before they even look at it. Once they get their look the first thing they do is look for the pin wheel and when looking fir that pinwheel any and every defect will stick out like a sore thumb. If it has a single scratch or bag mark or even a ding, it automatically goes down to 63. Idk how true that is but I heard similar statements so often that I had to accept it. I have some absolutely phenomenal coins, but not one without at least 1 blemish, even a teensy one. Breaks my heart that in nearly 3 years I still haven't sent one in for grading. With the price of the membership and the price per coin you better make sure you can get that back should you sell the coin later on. Otherwise what's the point? All these Lincoln Cents and Nickels and Dimes, anything you see in a slab with a lower grade and selling in some shop for a couple of bucks were likely sent in to be graded as part of a box of BU Mint Rolls that had never been touched and the owner got the deepest of discount because of the volumn of coins he was sending in at one time. See how that works? And with a Nickel, if it doesn't have Full Steps it's a spender unless there's some error or variety that will make it otherwise worthy, but that's with any coin, I suppose. I hope that helps. 

Okay,

First, Karen. I love proof sets, and I collect them. But SOME collectors consider them a thing apart, not part of the "main" set. Dansco produces albums both ways, with them and without them. SLQ's are a tough set if you want high grades, as you have no doubt learned. Each one can be $100+. Re: 'There can be good money in an error if it is special.' Yes, absolutely. But what makes it "special"? A few things. 1) Demand - people want one. 2) Obviousness - it needs to NOT need a microscope. 3) A good story, or a question about how it came to be. 4) "Staying power" - many once-heralded varieties disappear into 'who cares'. status. They're hot, then they're not. Also, if you ever get to spend some time at a major coin show, ask around. Wexler is not the be-all and end-all he is on many Internet forums. Some actually think he "sees things that aren't there." Opinions, right?

Now Dukemnm, I collect both ends. I do care about keeping my sets current with the absolute best modern pieces I can locate. But I also do "work backwards" from the oldest date I have in MS condition. I'm in the 1920's and 1930's in most series. I do NOT just fill holes. I'd rather have an empty hole in an album than fill it with an inferior piece. It took me until my 40's to understand how important that is.

I'll quote what Rod Gillis said, "Start with a series you CAN complete, like Jefferson Nickels or Roosevelt Dimes. That way you can stave off the frustration of never getting a successful set completion." I'd add Eisenhower Dollars.

Edited by VKurtB

42 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I'd add Eisenhower Dollars.

I have one completed, MS not sure on the gradin yet, since I am not savvy on the grading but at the least MS 65 or above. They are included with the Susan B. Anthony collection. only ones that are not in Mint state are the 1971 Ikes, since they were not included in Mint sets.  But They are fairly decent grade. Maybe MS 60. I will post some pictures soon and perhaps the community can help me picture grade. 

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

in an album

speaking of Albums, there are three main ones, Witman Dasco and Littleton, in your opinion, which one is the best to keep the coins in? I am going to venture a guess and say Dasco?  I have been using Littleton so far. 

If I were starting now, I think I might choose Littleton. I like the hinge better. The loose leaf is sweet. I started with Dansco and have stayed there. The company, however, may not be around forever. 

This thread has been an interesting read so far, and I commend all of the participants for not allowing it to degenerate into mud slinging and name calling.

:popcorn:

I mean, I get the focus of chasing perfection on coins but that's not for everybody.  To say that the variety and error focus is an invention of the internet age is misleading, though.  I think it's probably more fair to say that the error & variety niche has been spotlighted by the internet age.

Sheldon identified many die pairings and varieties on the early large cents roughly 70 years ago (Early American Cents, 1793–1814 ♦ Harper & Brothers, 1949; Penny Whimsy ♦ Harper & Row, 1958).

Cohen published American Half Cents in 1982 and is thus associated pairings & varieties.

Breen was prolific with publications between 1958 & 1988.  

And that's just American numismatists with a relatively young mintage history of 250 years (give or take) compared to what's out there for world mintage. I've no doubt there were individuals documenting and identifying varieties well before that.  

But in the end, we can observe the system and make an educated guess of how it will behave.  Are the new collectors showing more interest in "perfect" coins or "imperfect" coins?  If it's the latter it will drive the future market as these same collectors go through the cycle of obtaining more & more value in their personal collection and disposable income to purchase additional pieces.  Does that mean we all need to go down that route?  Nope.  But if your primary focus in collecting shifts from being the mainstream to the niche then it's best to consider that trend when allocating funds to purchases/investments.

But what do I know?  Here's a cool article about a new variety discovered this year with a quote from our very own D. Lange in the article.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/ngc-certifies-new-half-cent-variety/

13 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I mean, I get the focus of chasing perfection on coins but that's not for everybody.  To say that the variety and error focus is an invention of the internet age is misleading, though.  I think it's probably more fair to say that the error & variety niche has been spotlighted by the internet age.

Sheldon identified many die pairings and varieties on the early large cents roughly 70 years ago (Early American Cents, 1793–1814 ♦ Harper & Brothers, 1949; Penny Whimsy ♦ Harper & Row, 1958).

Cohen published American Half Cents in 1982 and is thus associated pairings & varieties.

Breen was prolific with publications between 1958 & 1988.  

And that's just American numismatists with a relatively young mintage history of 250 years (give or take) compared to what's out there for world mintage. I've no doubt there were individuals documenting and identifying varieties well before that.  

But in the end, we can observe the system and make an educated guess of how it will behave.  Are the new collectors showing more interest in "perfect" coins or "imperfect" coins?  If it's the latter it will drive the future market as these same collectors go through the cycle of obtaining more & more value in their personal collection and disposable income to purchase additional pieces.  Does that mean we all need to go down that route?  Nope.  But if your primary focus in collecting shifts from being the mainstream to the niche then it's best to consider that trend when allocating funds to purchases/investments.

But what do I know?  Here's a cool article about a new variety discovered this year with a quote from our very own D. Lange in the article.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/ngc-certifies-new-half-cent-variety/

Wow, this is so cool.  Thanks @CRAWTOMATIC for that excellent read. 

22 hours ago, Just Bob said:

This thread has been an interesting read so far, and I commend all of the participants for not allowing it to degenerate into mud slinging and name calling.

:popcorn:

Well Bob, we have gotten to know one other and to better understand. I for one am learning to keep my high horses hooves on the ground. There is much to be taught and even more to be learned, thr more options for both the better, yeah?