• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 s small date
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I'm thinking this could be a small date. It's hard to tell sometimes when you pull these out of circulation lol. Idk the zero looks as if perfectly round. Except for the top of it. I can't draw a line across the top of the date to figure out that part of it. But I'm going on the way of the liberty and the 9. The 9 looks like it's pointing the right way as it being a small date. What would be your thoughts. 

20190807_084707.jpg

20190807_084215.jpg

Okay, now you've gone and done it! You've opened up Pandora's box full of cans of worms, to coin a mixed metaphor. I have studied the 1970-S cent for many years. I do not believe there are two types. I believe there are at least three. I hope to someday have time to document my theory. Your 9's tail is telling me 'small date', and I thoroughly believe tops of numbers are irrelevant. But your LIBERTY is pretty strong compared to the recognized small date. Again, I think yours will technically not be considered a small date, but neither is it fully a large date. In my personal opinion, it is a third type of date. No, it's not recognized by the hobby, but I believe it exists. What yours indisputably does have is a high mintmark, which all true small dates also have.

Edited by VKurtB

16 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Okay, now you've gone and done it! You've opened up Pandora's box full of cans of worms, to coin a mixed metaphor. I have studied the 1970-S cent for many years. I do not believe there are two types. I believe there are at least three. I hope to someday have time to document my theory. Your 9's tail is telling me 'small date', and I thoroughly believe tops of numbers are irrelevant. But your LIBERTY is pretty strong compared to the recognized small date. Again, I think yours will technically not be considered a small date, but neither is it fully a large date. In my personal opinion, it is a third type of date. No, it's not recognized by the hobby, but I believe it exists. What yours indisputably does have is a high mintmark, which all true small dates also have.

Wow, that's pretty cool.  Didn't notice the mint mark being that high. Lol now you have me  searching through some of my other 1970 s for them looking that way. Thanks 

36 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Wow, that's pretty cool.  Didn't notice the mint mark being that high. Lol now you have me  searching through some of my other 1970 s for them looking that way. Thanks 

You can immediately dismiss as a small date any 1970-S on which the mintmark is low. The "high and tight" mintmark is not by itself a guarantee of a SD, but the lack of it is a disqualifier.

Edited by VKurtB

49 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

You can immediately dismiss as a small date any 1970-S on which the mintmark is low. The "high and tight" mintmark is not by itself a guarantee of a SD, but the lack of it is a disqualifier.

Well you're just full of good information today. I do looove to learn. 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Well you're just full of good information today. I do looove to learn. 

PLEASE remember, Karen of Charleston, that while this last bit I posted here is well known, my own theory of the existence of THREE or more types of 1970-S dates is, as we sit here, only that, MY PERSONAL theory. Do not expect anyone to necessarily agree. It is on my list of things to prove after I retire. Maybe "Bellman's Variety"? Who knows.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

PLEASE remember, Karen of Charleston, that while this last bit I posted here is well known, my own theory of the existence of THREE or more types of 1970-S dates is, as we sit here, only that, MY PERSONAL theory. Do not expect anyone to necessarily agree. It is on my list of things to prove after I retire. Maybe "Bellman's Variety"? Who knows.

Hey, I just make notes and notes and notes from what people say, and try to keep them organized so they will help me when needed. Plus, nobody ever agrees with me anyway so I'm used to that.