• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime nickels
1 1

7 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Lisae228 said:

I'm sure an obvious answer but I'm not sure so I'mma ask anyway..lol.     How come the 1942 and 42D nickels not concidered wartime nickels?:popcorn:

Oh Lisae, it's worth than you thought. Some 1942's are and others are not. Any with a LARGE mintmark above the Monticello is, and those without are not. The difference is a war-required change in the alloy, because nickel was a "strategic" metal for the war.

Edited by VKurtB

27 minutes ago, Lisae228 said:

I'm sure an obvious answer but I'm not sure so I'mma ask anyway..lol.     How come the 1942 and 42D nickels not concidered wartime nickels?:popcorn:

If you think about it, it's part of the way coins tell history. Normally the government would probably have waited for a new year before changing compositions...unless they felt that it was quite urgent. With the US entry into war just before 1942 began, that would mean they had the new dies all ready to go, or at least in planning, when the Arizona went down. They made enough CuNi 1942 nickels that they are not rare, but at some point during the year, they decided the change was needed well before the end of the US's first full year of war. While that was happening, we (Allies) were losing Guam, Wake, the Philippines, Singapore, the Dutch East Indies, New Guinea, the Solomons. One can see the mentality that said: "If there are any decisions to make about strategic materials, better make them in a hurry."

19 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I totally did not know they made both in '42. Thanks fellows.

Without going to my bookshelf, from memory, I believe all 42-D are NOT silver wartime, all 42-S ARE silver wartime, and Philadelphia made both.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Without going to my bookshelf, from memory, I believe all 42-D are NOT silver wartime, all 42-S ARE silver wartime, and Philadelphia made both.

That's real good info, Mr. Kurt. Thank a bunch.

Yes thanks for the info...I understand now...thanks again...the group has a lot of good input..much appreciated

Edited by Lisae228
Wrong words