• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I found this while searching through my coins..sorry for the pics..tried to make it as clear as I can..but if u notice when you zoom in face the drippings and the very lightly word "pluribus" if I'm not mistaken and pardon on the quality of the coin. Any teachings and/or opinions would be appreciated? Thank you Liz.

Screenshot_20190805-221258.png

Screenshot_20190805-222242.png

Screenshot_20190805-222235.png

22 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I am not sure what "drippings" are seeing. I see a badly damaged cent.

Like an indentation of some sort of coin on top of Lincoln's face and the letters lightly spelled on the jacket and neck..And again excuse for the damaged coin.

The indention is not an error, since it happened after the coin was struck. It is damage,  caused by contact with another coin, or another hard object. The letters are probably the result of a substance on your coin, or another coin that contacted your coin, which stained your coin or caused the copper to turn, and the letters of the coin worked like a rubber stamp, transferring their image to your coin.

I see what you are talking about, but I believeit to be just more of the damage. Have you ever either read about how the process of striking a coin or watch one of the videos the Mint puts out showing how it's done? They can be very informative in many ways including the ways a Die Clash can be formed. One thing to remember is that whatever you think you see on one side should be what IS exactly opposite that same area of the coin on the other side. Does that make sense?