• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2010 Lucky Loonie Designation

7 posts in this topic

I have a registry set of circulating Loonie dollars from 87-present. One of the coins in the set is designated as "2010 Lucky Loonie". Repeated searches for this coin turn up the 2010 Olympic Loonie coin. This makes sense since the "2010 Lucky Loonie Colorized" is the same design as the Olympic Loonie. My question is this, are the 2010 Lucky Loonies the same coins as the 2010 Oympic Loonies? 

Thanks,

Mark

Link to my set of Circulation Loonies

2 hours ago, mdwoods said:

I have a registry set of circulating Loonie dollars from 87-present. One of the coins in the set is designated as "2010 Lucky Loonie". Repeated searches for this coin turn up the 2010 Olympic Loonie coin. This makes sense since the "2010 Lucky Loonie Colorized" is the same design as the Olympic Loonie. My question is this, are the 2010 Lucky Loonies the same coins as the 2010 Oympic Loonies? 

Thanks,

Mark

Link to my set of Circulation Loonies

Hello Mark, 

Thank you for the inquiry.  The design is the same as the 2010 Olympic coin and there are non-colorized and colorized versions of this coin.  If you need further assistance, you may reach the registry team at registry@ngccoin.com. 

As a side note, the term "Lucky Loonie " came about during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The ice maker during one of the Canadian hockey games placed a 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games  Loonie under the ice at the red line. Canada won the game and it was dubbed the name "Luckey Loonie".

On 8/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, Greenstang said:

As a side note, the term "Lucky Loonie " came about during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The ice maker during one of the Canadian hockey games placed a 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games  Loonie under the ice at the red line. Canada won the game and it was dubbed the name "Luckey Loonie".

So are the lucky loonie and olympic loonie the same coin? I'm still not sure. I realize they use the same design at least. I have a colorized version and it's made of different composition of metal. I have not seen a non colorized coin made of the same material as the colorized coin is. I have not seen a non-colorized NGC slab of the Lucky Loonie. I have seen them of the Olympic Loonie.

Edited by mdwoods

So are the lucky loonie and olympic loonie the same coin? I'm still not sure.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough, yes they are both the same coin.

. I have not seen a non colorized coin made of the same material as the colorized coin is

And you won't. The non colourized version is the regular business strike for circulation made of  Nickel /Bronze composition. There are two versions of the Colourized coin made for collectors, a Nickel one and a Sterling Silver one.