• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions matter!!!
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I would like to hear opinions of the 1886 O Morgan silver dollar.. Everything I read goes back in forth from one news article to another. That's it is....that it isn't a valuable piece.. Just curious to what real people had to say..I just got one and wanted to know more about the date n history.. Any opinions are appreciated

1 hour ago, Lisae228 said:

I would like to hear opinions of the 1886 O Morgan silver dollar.. Everything I read goes back in forth from one news article to another. That's it is....that it isn't a valuable piece.. Just curious to what real people had to say..I just got one and wanted to know more about the date n history.. Any opinions are appreciated

Welp, idk anything about Morgan's and only have 3, 1 of which is counterfeit. What I do know is the PCGS CoinFacts App. According to it 1886 was a year for substandard coins from New Orleans and many millions were made. Yet, one in MS 65+ graded and stabbed has garnered $265,000.00. Sooooo.... I guess beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Check out this 1886-O $1  on PCGS CoinFacts!
https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/7168

5 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

EVERYTHING on the 1886-O Morgan is about condition. Most coins have a point on the graph of value on the vertical axis vs. condition number of the horizontal axis, where the graph "goes hockey stick", i.e. the gradual increase suddenly goes wild. On the 1886-O, that graph goes hockey stick at a lower grade than on many other Morgans, which means that while it may be a "meh" coin in circulated grades, a truly mint state one will be valuable.

I can give a bit of info, not exactly sure you want to know.

There were 10,7110,000 minted with the O  MM, so they are not a rare year.

Prices can range from about $25.00 for a well circulated coin to $1800.00 or more for a MS grade.

All Morgans are widely counterfeited so you have to be careful. (There is one site that sells them for $1.98)

2 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

Thank y'all so very much...it's nice to hear the public's opinion and not what an author of articles have to say..thank u again

Do you usually find yourself mistrusting of article writers? Depending on the publication, maybe. But in a known publication with editors? Not so much a problem. I sincerely hope that healthy skepticism goes 100x when it comes to online-only sources, because it really needs to.

Edited by VKurtB

I don't mistrust, how bout, I'm very cautious at everything that I take in... From all types of sources n situations.. I've always worked with the public so their opinions matter but there is also a "But" to that..I appreciate the info y'all have provided me with, it seems to me to be very honest and fair.. I'm good with that... Thanks

My opinion on Morgan's?  Old dudes love the bejeezus out of them.  And they're everywhere in the condition you don't want to see them in.  And there's a clear division in the Morgan collector community about blast white vs. rainbow toned.  Mostly I just think they're boring since they're so pervasive.

6 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

Lol, you can't like them all....so what do u love the bejeezus out of?  Which coins have grabbed your attention

Nickels.  Both Buffalo Nickels & Jefferson.  But not really the Liberty nickels and earlier.  Probably because I have no connection to them.  Aside from that, hunting for Ike's with clean fields and minimal bagmarks on the face is a nice past time.

10 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

My opinion on Morgan's?  Old dudes love the bejeezus out of them.  And they're everywhere in the condition you don't want to see them in.  And there's a clear division in the Morgan collector community about blast white vs. rainbow toned.  Mostly I just think they're boring since they're so pervasive.

I like the Blast White.

Fyi, y'all have me rolling over here and I wish there wasn't a limit on the number of reactions we can use each day. And it is very nice to see everyone getting along. I made a post to my FB Group earlier about how proud I am of us there because we finally have people taking good quality photos and rotating them upright, and everyone is asking full questions or making complete statements instead of posting an upside down blurry and far away photo with a question mark. It took me 2yrs to do it and I swear I did it by myself. Lol! 

I like the blast white also..just learned that..lol. Thanks...I am almost done with my nickels minus 2 1938... It's cool that I'll so close.. I'm not sure the value of the set when finished.. But I will give them to my kids n maybe they will continue to play with coins.. Or sell them when needed..I have allot of extras in nickels.. But I have  only 2 1972   & 2 1971(Ike's)... I know that there are 2 different varieties for those years. But not sure  how to really tell the difference..pointers?

11 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

I like the blast white also..just learned that..lol. Thanks...I am almost done with my nickels minus 2 1938... It's cool that I'll so close.. I'm not sure the value of the set when finished.. But I will give them to my kids n maybe they will continue to play with coins.. Or sell them when needed..I have allot of extras in nickels.. But I have  only 2 1972   & 2 1971(Ike's)... I know that there are 2 different varieties for those years. But not sure  how to really tell the difference..pointers?

There are three different varieties of 1972 Philadelphia Mint Eisenhower Dollars alone. The Type II is the most desirable. The diagnostics are in Caribbean Sea on the image of earth. 

On 8/5/2019 at 4:08 PM, Lisae228 said:

I don't mistrust, how bout, I'm very cautious at everything that I take in... From all types of sources n situations.. I've always worked with the public so their opinions matter but there is also a "But" to that..I appreciate the info y'all have provided me with, it seems to me to be very honest and fair.. I'm good with that... Thanks

I wouldn't pay any attention to him...the research your doing by asking is honorable...I'll PM a condition and price info along with VAM numbers...take care...

Lisae, My plan is also for my kid, my grand daughter and her college fund if she finds her right mind this year and buckles down on the studying. Are you doing all complete sets like in the little books? I will look to see if I have a '38. Don't think I do though. I dropped most of my Ike's for the kiddos during Coin Week so all I have left are Proofs and Uncirculateds that look like like they just got back from a world tour. Smh! One of these days I'll stop buying Mint Sets. I know what I pull from circulation look better than any I've gotten from the Mints. You say You need all except '71 and '72 or those are the years you need?

On 8/6/2019 at 1:54 AM, Lisae228 said:

As VKurt pointed out it's in the island structure, whether it's defined or not really, but it helps to see pics.  NGC's Variety Plus section is especially useful.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-1971-1978/

That they are. If you really like them a Lot yu should Google search the 1990 proof Eisenhower 100th Set. You can pick it up for about 20 bucks. I am in love with mine.

Hi Karen, I found many examples of your new coin. If you download the reverse picture search app Sherlock and use Yandex when it searches you’ve hit the mother load...

i hope this helps.... God Bless

2173933F-6EB5-45B3-A841-989E225615F3.jpeg

62A4F8C8-E71E-49C4-B3D0-EE566F4B10D7.jpeg

A225A874-41D2-4BBF-932E-BFF6A8CB04D2.jpeg

3630C461-0DBC-4D39-9E92-D85C90D4CBD6.jpeg

18 hours ago, Trevor40 said:

Hi Karen, I found many examples of your new coin. If you download the reverse picture search app Sherlock and use Yandex when it searches you’ve hit the mother load...

i hope this helps.... God Bless

2173933F-6EB5-45B3-A841-989E225615F3.jpeg

62A4F8C8-E71E-49C4-B3D0-EE566F4B10D7.jpeg

A225A874-41D2-4BBF-932E-BFF6A8CB04D2.jpeg

3630C461-0DBC-4D39-9E92-D85C90D4CBD6.jpeg

Wrong post, but what the back is Yandex? I lost my google lens with this new phone and didnt know of there were other apps that did tbe same thing. Thanks.