• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attributing a new RPM
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Earlier this year I submitted a 1964 D Jefferson nickel with what I believed had a D/D/D RPM. The submission number was 4911585. However, no RPM attribution was assigned. I have since sent this coin in its holder to Dr. James Wiles for his evaluation. I have since received notification that he has added this coin to his Variety Vista page under RPM-002 replacing another RPM.

Currently, the coin and documentation are in the mail back to me. So, my question is this. Will NGC acknowledge Dr. Wiles attribution of this coin’s RPM and add it to my coin’s label?

Thank You

Milt

1964-D  RPM-002.png

NGC 4911585-001.png

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Though it's still a fairly minor RPM, having it documented at the VV website makes it possible for NGC to recognize the variety. You may send it back to NGC for VarietyPlus attribution, but be certain to note on the submission form that this is RPM-002.

I just noticed that this coin has been finalized and is being shipped back under NGC Cert # 4744953-001 without the variety listed. It was my understanding that NGC would in fact add this variety to the label especially since Dr. James Wiles added it to the Variety Vista listing. May I be told why this coin was rejected the variety that is clearly on it?

Thank You

Milt

On 8/1/2019 at 9:21 AM, DWLange said:

Though it's still a fairly minor RPM, having it documented at the VV website makes it possible for NGC to recognize the variety. You may send it back to NGC for VarietyPlus attribution, but be certain to note on the submission form that this is RPM-002.

thanks for this info.  I have been told by representatives at NGC, just this past week, where I was told if variety plus is checked there is zero need to include the variety information on the form.  Is this correct?

Well, it is my experience that the answer is yes and no! No if the variety is recognized in the CherryPickers guide and yes if it is listed with CONECA or Variety Vista. Now, having said that I have had to resubmit coins several times before the variety finally makes it to the label when the variety is not listed in CherryPickers; and usually will have to make it attention of DWLange. To say the least it becomes a tad expensive for all the resubmitting fees, handling fees, variety fees, mint error fees, and shipping fees to attribute a single coin.

Of course this just my experience

Milt