• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited

4 posts in this topic

Coin was passed down through the family since 1911. In last 5 years,  I've had offers ranging from the melt value up into the 30k range.  

Already know it's genuine, my question is, "should I hang onto it, or get it graded and sell it"?

IMG_2019-07-31_01-29-37.jpg

IMG_2019-07-31_01-30-09.jpg

Don't know who thought it was worth 30k but they are selling on eBay certified for around $1500.00 in average condition.

As far as selling, that is strictly up to you, I don't know your financial situation. If you are going to sell, then get it graded as this will verify that it is genuine.

21 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Don't know who thought it was worth 30k but they are selling on eBay certified for around $1500.00 in average condition.

As far as selling, that is strictly up to you, I don't know your financial situation. If you are going to sell, then get it graded as this will verify that it is genuine.

+1. There is so much fake gold out there that sending it in to NGC can only help its value.

OK, the coin is circulated and has about $1,414 worth of gold in it so $1,500 is probably pretty realistic.  The problem with getting it graded is that selling it raw might get you $1,460, certified gets you $1,500 and getting it certified is going to cost you about $50.  So net after paying for certification may get you less than just selling it raw.  If it was AU or uncirculated it might be different, but for a circulated piece like this most all the value is in the gold content.