• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How frequently does NGC disagree with the PCGS grading in a crossover?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I submitted two coins to NGC for crossover 4740893:

1909 S Lincoln Cent PCGS MS64RD. NGC did not crossover, stated "NOT RD".

1931 S Lincoln Cent PCGS MS63RD. NGC did not crossover, stated "ALTERED COLOR".

So ... is this normal? I paid for "CROSSOVER - EARLY BIRD".  I had hoped to have these coins in NGC holders so I could add them to "My NGC Registry".  Now I am just out the money for the failed crossover.

I am a slight bit disappointed.

So I ask:  Is it normal to expect PCGS graded coins to not be up to NGC grading standards?

1909-S-LC-F.jpg

1931-S-LC-F.jpg

• Administrator

Hello Jim,

I have been told by our graders that yes, that happens. PCGS does not have the same grading standards as us. The first coin looks Red Brown, and the second looks to have been lightly cleaned at some point which PCGS netted for.

2 hours ago, LISA B said:

... the second looks to have been lightly cleaned at some point which PCGS netted for.

Lisa, I have the feeling that the title of this thread will attract the attention of a lot of people doing internet searches. For the benefit of future readers, would you mind explaining the term "netted"?

On 8/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, Jim Lefeber said:

Today I received a credit from NGC for $60 - so I had to pay $20 ($10 handling fee + $5 for each coin to be looked at).

I think that is a very fair price for the opinions of several professionals.

And, regarding the 1909S, I wonder if it is turning in the holder.

This was my first submission to NGC.

The final $20.00 fee is not bad for experts to review two graded PCGS coins.

But consider:  I submitted 22 coins for grading and shipped them to NGC in a single box/shipment. Following the instructions, I had to make a "crossover" submission 4740893 of two coins, so there was a $10.00 handling fee for that.  Then there was a $10.00 handling fee for one "economy" submission 4740894 with 15 coins and another $10.00 handling fee for one "economy" submission with 5 coins (I was unable to put these five coins on 4740894 because there is only room for 15 coins on the form. I requested all coins be returned at the same time in order to keep shipping costs to a minimum.

So, the handling fees for this single shipment was $30.00.

4740893 - 2 coins crossover $80.00 including $10.00 handling fee (re-classified from 'economy' to 'early bird/standard because value >$300.00 on the 1909S). Received $60.00 credit after did not crossover.

4740894 - 15 coins 'economy' $310.00 including $10.00 handling fee.

4740895 - 5 coins 'economy' $110.00 including $10.00 handling fee.

I think I received a $150.00 credit, offered when I joined NGC "Premium" membership. (NGC invoicing is not really clear). I paid $391.00 then received a credit for $60.00.

I am now understanding how this works.  My two cents (for what it is worth or not):  I think a single submission fee per total submission is more fair than a submission fee for each piece of paper in the box.

Edited by Jim Lefeber

A few years back I submitted over 100 US Philippine coins that had been graded by PCGS and ANACS to NGC in their original holders with permission to remove. I was curious how closely PCGS and ANACS would track with NGC grading. The statistical result was they crossed at virtually the same grades! NGC downgraded a couple of coins, raised a couple of coin grades, and graded two ANACS MS coins to details. All PCGS coins crossed at the same grade, but one was designated RB rather than Red.

IMHO NGC charges a $10 fee per submission sheet/number to pay for the check-in, payment etc. If a submitter submits a gold sheet, high value sheet, modern lot, and an economy submission, this takes more time to process and NGC has decided to charge us for their efforts. Whether this is fair or not, only the submitter can make that decision.

I was zero for four on my first attempt at crossing over from PR70 PCGS. I thought they looked good under a microscope.

Please offer your success rates so I can decide if I want to send any more coins in for crossover.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Have a great day.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, Jim Lefeber said:

I submitted two coins to NGC for crossover 4740893:

1909 S Lincoln Cent PCGS MS64RD. NGC did not crossover, stated "NOT RD".

1931 S Lincoln Cent PCGS MS63RD. NGC did not crossover, stated "ALTERED COLOR".

So ... is this normal? I paid for "CROSSOVER - EARLY BIRD".  I had hoped to have these coins in NGC holders so I could add them to "My NGC Registry".  Now I am just out the money for the failed crossover.

I am a slight bit disappointed.

So I ask:  Is it normal to expect PCGS graded coins to not be up to NGC grading standards?

1909-S-LC-F.jpg

1931-S-LC-F.jpg

I am two for six at crossing over, however; the two that crossed were worth the effort.

I wish they could post statistics on the crossover rate.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:22 PM, Vess1 said:

You can enter PCGS coins into the NGC registry again now.  It changed back last year.  It just takes a couple days for them to approve once entered.  You get the same points.

U.S. coins only.  

On 5/4/2020 at 6:42 AM, Mactanboy said:

A few years back I submitted over 100 US Philippine coins that had been graded by PCGS and ANACS to NGC in their original holders with permission to remove. I was curious how closely PCGS and ANACS would track with NGC grading. The statistical result was they crossed at virtually the same grades! NGC downgraded a couple of coins, raised a couple of coin grades, and graded two ANACS MS coins to details. All PCGS coins crossed at the same grade, but one was designated RB rather than Red.

IMHO NGC charges a $10 fee per submission sheet/number to pay for the check-in, payment etc. If a submitter submits a gold sheet, high value sheet, modern lot, and an economy submission, this takes more time to process and NGC has decided to charge us for their efforts. Whether this is fair or not, only the submitter can make that decision.

If they didn't charge this fee they'd probably just charge an extra $1 for each modern and economy coin. People would likely pay more but might complain less. lol

Edited by Revenant

On 6/25/2023 at 10:52 AM, NheilCruising said:

I want to send my PCGS coins to be re-slab to NGC so they are all uniform. My worry is that NGC will downgrade my PCGS coins.

You can choose to cross at the same grade only on the submission form.  That way NGC will not downgrade any that do cross.  The downside is you may (likely will have) some that may not cross.

Personally I think too many people are overly hung up on the holder thing, the coin is what really matters 99% of the time.  The only exception is for some older holders where the market adds value for the holder.

Keeping in mind my comments are for US coins, ancient and foreign coins can have other considerations.