• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!?!

5 posts in this topic

20190729_201213.thumb.jpg.69b8481bfa06f56eebc514d0bb1bdd39.jpgSo I found this dime in my pocket yesterday. It is loke nothing I have seen before. Can anyone help me with I.D. ?  It looks like a drip or something above his nose and the coin looks like its been struck mkre than once. The date is 199.....something. I cant make out the last number. It looks like mayne a 9 but also a 6 or a 4 

Spoiler

20190729_201552.jpg

Edited by Midas Trust

I agree. What the heck IS it? I know that it doesn't matter, though.

It has been heat damaged.  Application of heat to the point where the coppernickel layer has reached the "plastic" stage.  Soft enough to easily deformed but not yet liquid.  A bubble that was trapped between the clad layers has expanded.  (Pressure in the bubble increases with heat.)  The pressure causes the coppernickel layer to develop a bubble.  Then as the temperature decline the pressure in the bubble does and well and it starts to collapse.  But the stretched metal can't return to its original position and shape.  The result is what you see on your coin.