• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 quarter

5 posts in this topic

The other day I got some change back after a transaction and noticed that the country roll wrapper said U.S.Mint on it, one of the quarters given to me in change had a mirror finish and no scratches.

1967 by date.

I've looked online to see if it was a proof...nope, none were struck for that year. The coin facts guide I have downloaded doesn't have anything graded above a MS 69, and that's not like what I have.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. 

IMG_2019-07-30_05-23-28.jpg

IMG_2019-07-30_05-23-53.jpg

It is almost guaranteed to be an SMS (Special Mint Set) quarter, that has seen some circulation and would be considered "impaired" because of the light wear.  Also, the heavy mark on the left obverse, and the one on the reverse eagle's breast would knock the numerical grade down substantially from 70. I like the "Cameo" look, and it's still a fun coin to find in change even if it doesn't have much numismatic value. 

You have a very nice "story coin" there. It appears to be from a 1967 Special Mint Set, and only a VERY small number of them had strong cameo contrast like yours. HOWEVER, it needed to REMAIN out of circulation to retain what might have been a neat little value. As @dleonard-3 has said, that coin USED TO BE a fairly valuable coin, but has been removed from that status by the circulation marks it now has. It also appears to have some bluish toning, which some guys go nutty for, but it's not my cup o' tea. The "story" is about some poor shlub who didn't know what he had and ruined a coin by putting it into circulation. 

Edited by VKurtB