• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valuable coins?

11 posts in this topic

Hi can anybody help me. I inherited a bunch of coins and wheat pennies I'm trying to see if maybe any of them are valuable but I ha e no idea about coin collecting. I only know what I'm googling so this is quite difficult. I don't want to get rid of them if there i s any of value because they were my grandma's and  she collected alit of things and antiques in hopes it would pay off when she was gone but I m not sure how to go about  finding out if these pennies and coins are worth anything it's a big bag if anyone can give me sum advice on where to find out if any are valuable I would be so grateful . Here are a few I tried to look Into

4DECBAC6-8FE5-47CD-AC67-73BAB5A51224.jpeg

7CE77F2C-EC1B-468C-AB9C-55C74E0DFE61.jpeg

0BE16A32-55D4-4D0F-B6F6-2E7855B1CFB7.jpeg

0AE03216-168C-43AB-9554-ECA2B7C423EE.jpeg

Does anyone know where I can take a bag of Lincoln and wheat Pennies to be valued my grandma collected them and has recently passed and I want to see what her collection might be worth . She collected antiques and things she felt were valuable to leave us so I don't want to get rid of anything that might be worth alot thanks 

66083E4B-CCA6-4A40-A2BB-6E7B80C7A8D4.jpeg

47E76B11-CD7D-42EC-BDF3-C06767DAF7F9.jpeg

917711F6-E813-42F1-83DB-ACEF6D468F11.jpeg

I don't see anything about any of those that would make them exceptionally valuable, sorry to say.

The tough part with a huge collection of wheaties is not only can it be physically difficult to haul, but most are worth only their copper value. A minority are worth more. It really depends how much energy you are willing to invest, but one way is to filter out everything 1933 and before, and give all of those a rather closer look. In a normal assortment of wheaties, that might represent 5-15% of the total. That should be more manageable than trying to examine every single coin.

Thank you and yes it's not a huge bag but I've seen so much on Google lol I got excited but I appreciate the advice. I figured it was to good to be true but worth inquiring about thanks again

I know that it seems odd that a coin which is 60+ years old would not be valuable, but wheat cents were saved by the barrel full, so are not rare, in most cases - especially if they have been circulated and show any signs of wear.

Your 1955D cents, although almost never found in circulation anymore, are considered common, so are not valuable. If you took them to a coin dealer or pawn shop, you would probably be offered 2-3 cents a piece.

The 1984 cents are just damaged, so those can be spent.

A word of advice: Don't believe everything you read on the internet or see on videos about the value of coins. Much of the information out there is, at best, misleading, and, at worst, completely false. Feel free to post any coin that you might have a question about. As long as you are open to hearing what we have to say, we don't mind helping. Just a few tips, though. Make sure you don't ask specific questions about a whole bunch of different coins in one post, since that tends to lend itself to confusion. And be sure to post clear pictures. If we can't see them, we can't evaluate them. And, don't try to clean any of the coins. If one does turn out to be of some value, cleaning it will almost certainly remove most of that value.

Midas Trust-

Why are you highjacking  this post when you have already posted the same coin twice. This just causes confusion.

You don't get any more response by posting something multiple times.

Greeneyes, go to your local library and see if they have a copy of A Guidebook of United States Coins by R. S. Yeoman (Most libraries will have a copy)  In that book yo can look up you coins to see if they are valuable.  Do NOT pay any attention to the actual values listed, but if you find you have one whose price is significantly higher than the other common ones around it, then you know which pieces to ask about here.

None of what you posted has any value beyond a few cents tops, but you have a fun task of looking for any of the key dates.  This will help as a resource:  https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/lincoln-cents-wheat-reverse-1909-1958-pscid-99

There are basically 6 Wheat pennies that would be collectible unless you had some that were in high MS condition.  Good luck with the hunt and research. 

Thanks for the helpful advice . .. I have never utilized a chat forum before so thanks for being understanding and not rude if I did it incorrectly. I appreciate the tips and advice it's greatly needed lol . I think I will drive back into it another day finding a valuable penny in my small bag of wheat pennies is about as likely as winning the lotto and I'm not that lucky but you never know maybe I'll leave them for my daughter when she grows up it's cool to think I could have a penny worth thousands then to know I don't aaahhaa lol thanks again ..