• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Note for VERY New Collectors - Errors
1 1

49 posts in this topic

I am aware that very many new collectors are absolutely CONSUMED with finding so-called errors and/or variety coins, especially ANYTHING that looks "doubled" to them. I also THINK I know why this phenomenon exists - misleading YouTube videos made by people who have absolutely ZERO idea of which they are speaking. I am a collector with 56 years of experience, and frankly, I have never cared about errors or varieties very much at all. I also cringe nearly every time I watch a YouTube video. Very few are worth watching. On other forum sites I have been taken to task for "bad-mouthing" what interests newbie collectors.

There's yet another reason why now. The electronic version of the ANA World's Fair of Money program is out and available. The show is coming up in mid-August. In the exhibits list, there are two entire classes set aside for errors and varieties, one open, and one for YN's. Class 16 for adults, and Y-7 for YN's. Nobody, not one single person, has offered an exhibit of errors or varieties. No adult exhibitor, no YN. None at all.

Here's my rhetorical question: If errors and varieties are what is dragging you into numismatics, and what is BY DEFINITION the mainstream of the hobby's experienced collector base, those who commit to being at the annual conventional ALL FIVE DAYS, are not that into it, and they largely are not, then do you not see that the pursuit of riches through errors and varieties might be a quixotic quest? At the very minimum, this is going to have to be a market that creates itself from here on, because aside from a niche, it's a market that pretty much doesn't exist today, at least not in the way most beginners are pursuing it.

I am afraid, my dear new brethren, that you are being led astray by con-men and ne'er-do-wells. Yes, you may turn this hobby into your vision of it someday. Demography does slowly turn over the collector base. But be aware of the massive hard work for you that lies ahead. You're not in the mainstream, yet … at least for the time being.

Edited by VKurtB

Much of it, I think, is the desire for instant riches, instant gratification, 'just give it to me right now.' The logical approach would be to obtain knowledge of minting and the process errors that are not considered collectible, so that as many red herrings could be ruled out as possible. Nope. Rarely happens. So much easier to just throw a few bad photos at the forum, then argue with the patient souls who try and explain that this is not a Big Expensive Rarity.

They'd all do better to read physicsfan3.14's book on grading, and get the cherrypicker's books, but not many will.

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

Much of it, I think, is the desire for instant riches, instant gratification, 'just give it to me right now.' The logical approach would be to obtain knowledge of minting and the process errors that are not considered collectible, so that as many red herrings could be ruled out as possible. Nope. Rarely happens. So much easier to just throw a few bad photos at the forum, then argue with the patient souls who try and explain that this is not a Big Expensive Rarity.

They'd all do better to read physicsfan3.14's book on grading, and get the cherrypicker's books, but not many will.

I myself have found most grading books to be much like a room full of lawyers buried up to their necks in sand, a good start. But until I took a live and in-person grading course, complete with carefully assembled grading sets of coins, I didn't know what I didn't know. Expensive? Yeah, kinda. Most things worth a lot are. I'm finding that this is one of the WORST hobbies for those who like shortcuts.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I am aware that very many new collectors are absolutely CONSUMED with finding so-called errors and/or variety coins, especially ANYTHING that looks "doubled" to them. I also THINK I know why this phenomenon exists - misleading YouTube videos made by people who have absolutely ZERO idea of which they are speaking. I am a collector with 56 years of experience, and frankly, I have never cared about errors or varieties very much at all. I also cringe nearly every time I watch a YouTube video. Very few are worth watching. On other forum sites I have been taken to task for "bad-mouthing" what interests newbie collectors.

There's yet another reason why now. The electronic version of the ANA World's Fair of Money program is out and available. The show is coming up in mid-August. In the exhibits list, there are two entire classes set aside for errors and varieties, one open, and one for YN's. Class 16 for adults, and Y-7 for YN's. Nobody, not one single person, has offered an exhibit of errors or varieties. No adult exhibitor, no YN. None at all.

Here's my rhetorical question: If errors and varieties are what is dragging you into numismatics, and what is BY DEFINITION the mainstream of the hobby's experienced collector base, those who commit to being at the annual conventional ALL FIVE DAYS, are not that into it, and they largely are not, then do you not see that the pursuit of riches through errors and varieties might be a quixotic quest? At the very minimum, this is going to have to be a market that creates itself from here on, because aside from a niche, it's a market that pretty much doesn't exist today, at least not in the way most beginners are pursuing it.

I am afraid, my dear new brethren, that you are being led astray by con-men and ne'er-do-wells. Yes, you may turn this hobby into your vision of it someday. Demography does slowly turn over the collector base. But be aware of the massive hard work for you that lies ahead. You're not in the mainstream, yet … at least for the time being.

The reason why you get bad mouthies from newbies error collectors, is because there hearing and see what there taking in. So when they get on here and get the right and true answer about there coin ,they don't like the response, of what they where like you said miss lead on. Me on the other hand I'm different thats why I only stay here because I know i get the the actual response I need. Also every hobby has its steps. What ever hobby you get in you have to start at the bottom. Like wood working for an example. You got to build something to make money to get to the next step and so on. Coins you find a valuable one sell it and then go to the next step and keep doing that until you feel comfortable where you're at.

Hi I am not a collector of coins I inherited a bag of wheat pennies and Lincoln pennies all different dates does anyone know where I can take the whole bag to get valued and trust who is doing to be honest. These were my grandma's who recently passed and she was a collector of antiques and she had these. I would love to have them valued by an expert because I have no idea about coins but from Google and it's to much to googleamd to many different coins I live in Texas but don't know what kind of shop or person to take these to who won't lie or try to get over on me . Plus it's quite a chore going thru these things please any advice is welcome

20 minutes ago, Greeneyes85 said:

Hi I am not a collector of coins I inherited a bag of wheat pennies and Lincoln pennies all different dates does anyone know where I can take the whole bag to get valued and trust who is doing to be honest. These were my grandma's who recently passed and she was a collector of antiques and she had these. I would love to have them valued by an expert because I have no idea about coins but from Google and it's to much to googleamd to many different coins I live in Texas but don't know what kind of shop or person to take these to who won't lie or try to get over on me . Plus it's quite a chore going thru these things please any advice is welcome

One thread posted for that would have sufficed without introducing it here as well. Not trying to be unkind, but there's no need to ask the question twice.

Well like I said I don't ever get on forums  I don't know how they work and I was trying to get advice from multie people. If your not trying to be unkind Then maybe ur comment wasn't necessary. Did it really bother you so much you just had to reply . I simply would have ignored my post if I didn't want to be " unkind". Anyway thanks for the advice maybe I'll post it 3 more times ✌️😂 jeez it's not that serious .. weird ... Muah.. gotta love individual_without_enough_empathys .. smh13FA29FF-9CF7-40EE-8B95-B861B9B9CBA3.jpeg.7d425bbab0497b2449e189253bb37cf9.jpeg

5 hours ago, Greeneyes85 said:

If you was in Kentucky,  I'd suggest Mid America Rare coin galleries in Lexington,  Jeff Garrett is very well known in the field.

I am 12 years old and I got into coins last year. I inherited my grandpa’s collection and I started watching tons of YouTube videos such as “300,000$ 1964 Nickel!” but then I got a book, the Red Book, and it has such good information. I now try to get as many good coin books as I can and buy quality, non-error coins.

7 hours ago, Greeneyes85 said:

Well like I said I don't ever get on forums  I don't know how they work and I was trying to get advice from multie people. If your not trying to be unkind Then maybe ur comment wasn't necessary. Did it really bother you so much you just had to reply . I simply would have ignored my post if I didn't want to be " unkind". Anyway thanks for the advice maybe I'll post it 3 more times ✌️😂 jeez it's not that serious .. weird ... Muah.. gotta love individual_without_enough_empathys .. smh13FA29FF-9CF7-40EE-8B95-B861B9B9CBA3.jpeg.7d425bbab0497b2449e189253bb37cf9.jpeg

You're welcome for the attempts to help you figure out your coins without showing poor forum etiquette. I appreciate your kind gratitude.

11 hours ago, Greeneyes85 said:

I know this is tough to hear, and many people will be less than fully honest with you because they don't want to discourage you, but there are things you need to understand about this hobby that are not obvious to beginners. One of them is that a "bag of wheat pennies and Lincoln pennies all different dates" almost certainly has next to zero numismatic value. Why do I say this? Because everyone has them already, some literally by the ton. If anyone were worthy of the description "expert", they would not give your coins a second thought, because, well, frankly, he has seen piles just like them too often to even want to think about. Probably several times a week,

Now, do I own Lincoln cents? Yes, yes I do. But each and every one of mine back to 1934 is in Mint State, all with some rather large amount of red in them. I have most dates back to 1909 in unmintmarked (Philadelphia) cents on that same condition. Many dates are in MS66 and MS67 condition. Now, why would a random bag of miscellaneous Wheaties interest me? And I am NO expert, compared with "real" experts.

You need to understand there is "an ordinary person interesting coin" and then there is "a coin person interesting coin". They have virtually NOTHING in common. I know, these words can hit hard, but they are true.

This hobby is tough to do via Google. It needs careful study, over years and decades. There are new such collectors out there, but they are few.

I have been at this 56 years, as I wrote above. I have not missed an ANA convention since 2009. I was in the hospital that year and under instructions not to fly when I was released. My annual spending on numismatic BOOKS (dead trees with ink) is between $200 and $300, some years MUCH more. My membership with NGC is one of the higher tiers, three figures. I am active in SIX different coin clubs. I will be in Rosemont an entire WEEK for this ANA show. I am a National Volunteer for them and will be making dealer badges the first three days. This hobby takes commitment to do it properly.

Being a beginner is great. But where do you think you'll want to take this over, say, 10 years?

Edited by VKurtB

7 hours ago, EmiCoins said:

I am 12 years old and I got into coins last year. I inherited my grandpa’s collection and I started watching tons of YouTube videos such as “300,000$ 1964 Nickel!” but then I got a book, the Red Book, and it has such good information. I now try to get as many good coin books as I can and buy quality, non-error coins.

Hey Kiddo! Glad to have you here. Please don't pay attention to the above rudeness, that is not at allwhat is normal here. These guys here are a wealth of great information and advice. I am very happy, as I'm sure they are too, that you were not impressed by the YouTube videos because they are very misleading and get everyone's hopes all up for no good reason. If you are able to read the Redbook you are one up on me. I have a collection with no idea of its value except what I find in the Apps like CoinFacts and PhotoGrade. If you are on FaceBook you are welcome to join the 2 groups I find helpful, American Coin Club (discussion only) and The Money Vault US Currency Coins and Error Collectors. These are young person friendly groups and we have several experts that will answer your questions. Just tell them I sent you. BUT, this Newbie Forum right here is the best resource I have found and has the nicest bunch of guys I've encountered, so you're in a great place here. The FB groups are just for extra value as needed. Happy Hunting to you and I hope you stick with it.

29 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey Kiddo! Glad to have you here. Please don't pay attention to the above rudeness, that is not at allwhat is normal here. These guys here are a wealth of great information and advice. I am very happy, as I'm sure they are too, that you were not impressed by the YouTube videos because they are very misleading and get everyone's hopes all up for no good reason. If you are able to read the Redbook you are one up on me. I have a collection with no idea of its value except what I find in the Apps like CoinFacts and PhotoGrade. If you are on FaceBook you are welcome to join the 2 groups I find helpful, American Coin Club (discussion only) and The Money Vault US Currency Coins and Error Collectors. These are young person friendly groups and we have several experts that will answer your questions. Just tell them I sent you. BUT, this Newbie Forum right here is the best resource I have found and has the nicest bunch of guys I've encountered, so you're in a great place here. The FB groups are just for extra value as needed. Happy Hunting to you and I hope you stick with it.

See? This is what is fundamentally wrong with where this hobby is careening toward. What "rudeness"? All I am doing is telling you truth. If you find that "rude", then the problem is with you, not me. Our young friend @EmiCoins "gets it". He's on the right path. Please do NOT try to get him to lean on Facebook at all.

Edited by VKurtB

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

See? This is what is fundamentally wrong with where this hobby is careening toward. What "rudeness"? All I am doing is telling you truth. If you find that "rude", then the problem is with you, not me.

I respect the fact that you have 56 years of experience.  I look up to ones like that. Being a newbie is being like a rookie. I had to put up with a lot in the first year in the fire department as rookie. So I can take  all this better then most. But I'm getting the understanding that error aren't so popular. That's fine,  but understand it's popular in alot of people minds that get first started. You might be telling the truth but, when you post in here like this, saying it's in possible on certain things of the hobby. Will that's kind of like a parent telling there kid they aren't going to amount to nothing. The world everything changes. Never no what would happen in the future. I can pull up a NGC weekly report ad, and it states how they strongly want to encourage the new generation and young folks to get in here and jump in with the rest of us. With that being said it does not matter how you start a hobby everybody's different how they do there thing. We don't need to beware of anything like your were saying in your first post. If anybody needs to beware its you . Because this is what runs people off and you don't here from them again. And we wonder why we have problems in this new time of age. Wow unbelievable. Hmmmmmm 

"That's fine,  but understand it's popular in alot of people minds that get first started."

That's what genuinely bothers me and also is fascinating to me. How did this happen to this generation, and why? I genuinely don't get it. Maybe you can help me with it. It has never happened before in the hobby's entire history that a new generation of collectors took so severe a turn from its predecessors. Clearly, "we" have failed you somehow.

I'm just left with "it's the Internet's fault", but that seems too easy. The fact does remain, however, that it is almost entirely an Internet-based phenomenon and does not translate to the in-person mainstream, so there is that.

It's like the difference between e-sports and "getting a pulled hamstring" real sports. No one is doing you, or ANYONE, any favors by NOT pointing out that your aim might be off, least of all those who remain silent.

Edited by VKurtB

15 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

"That's fine,  but understand it's popular in alot of people minds that get first started."

That's what genuinely bothers me and also is fascinating to me. How did this happen to this generation, and why? I genuinely don't get it. Maybe you can help me with it. It has never happened before in the hobby's entire history that a new generation of collectors took so severe a turn from its predecessors. Clearly, "we" have failed you somehow.

I'm just left with "it's the Internet's fault", but that seems too easy. The fact does remain, however, that it is almost entirely an Internet-based phenomenon and does not translate to the in-person mainstream, so there is that.

It's like the difference between e-sports and "getting a pulled hamstring" real sports.

You say you have 56 years of experience so that means you're a veteran in this hobby.  And when new people get in here, try to stir them the right way in the hobby. Of course everyone get a million responses on there coin or whatever there doing. They want to find a comfortable forum to be in so they don't get mixed up in other media  like YouTube. As a veteran you should all ready know this. The rest of them on here are just doing that. It's called teaching and help them understand better about coins. 

16 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

You say you have 56 years of experience so that means you're a veteran in this hobby.  And when new people get in here, try to stir them the right way in the hobby. Of course everyone get a million responses on there coin or whatever there doing. They want to find a comfortable forum to be in so they don't get mixed up in other media  like YouTube. As a veteran you should all ready know this. The rest of them on here are just doing that. It's called teaching and help them understand better about coins. 

I know that very many will not believe me, but again, I am speaking truth. All these new collectors asking questions on Internet forums, not so much this one, because it is better than most, would be FAAAAAR better served by buying the "Red Book" and reading every page EXCEPT for the price listings. And this is true even for a 5 years out of date one.

I guess what I'm actually saying is that if I can succeed with "running them off" from what they've been doing, I am doing them a favor.

Edited by VKurtB

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I know that very many will not believe me, but again, I am speaking truth. All these new collectors asking questions on Internet forums, not so much this one, because it is better than most, would be FAAAAAR better served by buying the "Red Book" and reading every page EXCEPT for the price listings. And this is true even for a 5 years out of date one.

I have the red book on hand. Ya you get really smart out of that book if you take time reading it. I understand what you're trying to say. But we all need to understand people like yourself has more and better knowledge than the red book.  So people like me hoping to get better opinion on there coin. I go back and forth on the red book and opinions on here. And pretty much it's the Same answers. That's why I stay on this forum because there not stirring you the wrong direction. 

7 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

I have the red book on hand. Ya you get really smart out of that book if you take time reading it. I understand what you're trying to say. But we all need to understand people like yourself has more and better knowledge than the red book.  So people like me hoping to get better opinion on there coin. I go back and forth on the red book and opinions on here. And pretty much it's the Same answers. That's why I stay on this forum because there not stirring you the wrong direction. 

"But we all need to understand people like yourself has more and better knowledge than the red book."

That's where you risk being DEAD WRONG. I buy the new Red Book every year and now the Mega Red, too. It is still my #1 source in U.S. coins. Foreign is another matter. Yes, there may be a niche or two where I might have some specialized knowledge, but some of the finest minds in this field "pour their guts" into that Red Book every year. Do not diminish its importance.  I was at an auction a few weeks ago where there were some large cents I needed for my set. I picked off my shelf Mega Red #1 (before it was actually called that), because of the detailed section on large cents.

Edited by VKurtB

13 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Maybe after asking enough questions on Internet forums, and getting interested enough, they go out and buy a Red Book and then read it. I think different people can arrive at the same interest in varying ways. That said, I also think the errormania owes much to exhortations to YNs and novice adult collectors to "check you change!" One can hardly blame them for responding: "Okay, I checked my change and I think this is an error. Is it?" What one can blame them for is when they ask the question, then decide they don't like the answer, and become foolish. Or when they decide that they're special and exempt from learning simple courtesies. Or when they become *persons_living_under_bridges*.

6 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

"But we all need to understand people like yourself has more and better knowledge than the red book."

That's where you risk being DEAD WRONG. I buy the new Red Book every year and now the Mega Red, too. It is still my #1 source in U.S. coins. Foreign is another matter. Yes, there may be a niche or two where I might have some specialized knowledge, but some of the finest minds in this field "pour their guts" into that Red Book every year. Do not diminish its importance.

I don't have better knowledge than the red book. I don't risk anything when I do my homework. For the newbies out there this is what there talking about a red book. And it true everyone should own one. Because of circumstances like this.

20190730_150020.jpg

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

I don't have better knowledge than the red book. I don't risk anything when I do my homework. For the newbies out there this is what there talking about a red book. And it true everyone should own one. Because of circumstances like this.

20190730_150020.jpg

That's a Mega Red. Its expanded section is dimes. It is #4. The first had a greatly expanded section on large cents, the 2nd was small cents, the 3rd was nickels, the 4th was dimes, and the current one is on quarters. This version is a little intimidating for a beginner. The standard one is better for the beginner to intermediate collector. I buy the hard cover version. I just like it better. These Mega versions can be BEASTS.

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

See? This is what is fundamentally wrong with where this hobby is careening toward. What "rudeness"? All I am doing is telling you truth. If you find that "rude", then the problem is with you, not me. Our young friend @EmiCoins "gets it". He's on the right path. Please do NOT try to get him to lean on Facebook at all.

Dear Sir, I was referring to the person who posted their photo above and the comment that accompanied said photo. Nothing towards you. If you feel it was then perhaps you should ask yourself why. I am terribly sorry for your misunderstanding.

1 minute ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Dear Sir, I was referring to the person who posted their photo above and the comment that accompanied said photo. Nothing towards you. If you feel it was then perhaps you should ask yourself why. I am terribly sorry for your misunderstanding.

Oh, I see your meaning. I do give more room for Internet faux pas than some do. I enjoy a free-wheeling conversation with minimal "rules", but I did wonder what the portrait had to do with anything. I've read experienced posters on some systems who believe people post pictures of females as a sort of Trolling behavior, and I say that as someone who really doesn't understand that term either, nor do I care to. I'd rather adhere to "rules" of the hobby, than "rules" of the Internet.

59 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

20190730_150020.jpg

Finally I see the red book, :D Thanks. I have been reading it Specially after the fake coin mishap. And Yes I aim to read it entirely as one person suggested, Before I make another coin purchase.  Well, I might buy coins that I am familiar with. I actually Started with silver bullion and it evolved into coin collecting. Next thing I know I am looking at Lincoln cents. Since I've started, I am looking to collect by year and mint. Average circulation is fine until a better one comes along. and slowly been getting the tools of the trade. Like the "Red Bool" and soon the "Mega Red Book" Loop, microscope and ways to best preserve my collection without damage. 

I am really appreciative of the level of support from all members. I take everything with a grain of salt and as a lesson. we all have ways of teaching people and I understand how it can be so frustrating when you tell the same thing to one person and they refuse to take the long route and do it right. 

In short. Thank you all. @JKK @Greenstang @CRAWTOMATIC @Mohawk and many others that I can't find and tag. You all are an inspiration to the trade. 

This is what a "regular" Red Book looks like, in hardcover version. I'm showing my 72nd edition, rather than my 73rd, because that one is a limited edition for the centennial of the Chicago Coin Club, and I wanted to show the regular cover design. It also comes in a spiral bound paperback, which many people prefer, but I like these.

IMG_2112.JPG

I guess what might be distressing me a little is I never considered numismatics an "oral tradition" or a Q&A activity, but rather a deep study and reading like a geek bookworm sort of thing. Will the hobby change with the Internet generation? Abso-stinking-lutely it will! But never quite all the way. The regular way will hold on, for far longer than anyone here suspects, maybe even when ALL of us have passed into history. We are temporary; our coins will outlive us.

Edited by VKurtB

Ok, I cannot remain silent, lol, some of you know me well enough to know that. I love this Forum and all the guys in it. I have learned so much from from each one that has seen fit to grace my posts with their knowledge. Even the ones that like to say, 'Well I don't know much about...' always seem to come up with something to steer me in the right direction, and right or wrong they either get verification from others or we all work together to get the correct answer. 

Hinkle has a great point. We Newbies of 2019 probably do start out looking for the errors. It's what peaks our interest and gets us started. We soon realize after 50 rolls of 1955's without finding a single true DDO-001 that things in Numismatics aren't quite what we expected. While we do still go through our pocket change hoping against hope that we do find that one coin that will make it possible to enhance whatever collection we have managed to acquire, we realize that the chances are slim-except that now there was the Great American Coin Drop in April and still continues today thanks the aged collector who has nobody to leave their coins to. So maybe we will find something yet. But I think the biggest point is that once people realize the odds of finding something rare and cool, the ones that haven't already developed a love for the Coin will walk away and leave the rest of us to it, which I am perfectly fine with. The hunt for errors only weeds out those whom are only interested in the easy money and who do not care about the Numistical value that the collector sees. See? Weed them out, I say.

And as far as Facebook goes.... I joined about 50 groups before I found 2 groups that I have stuck with. With members like Chuck Daugherty, Lenny Matajasik, and even Potter himself, how can you go wrong? These FB groups have taught me to never ask about a coin without providing photos of both sides and of the area I question as well as a specific question of what I am trying to find out. Whether I am just showing off a new purchase or if I wonder if that odd area at the bottom of my Morgan is part of a number in between the denticals.

Now, without these guys right here (I would totally drop names here but would likely leave someone out and with their butts hurt, so I won't but they know who they are) in this particular Forum-because I also scoped out many other forums that were not up to snuff in my opinion and for me-I likely would have given up the hobby shortly after I found my Dad's Silver Quarters, and some of them likely wish I had, lol, but I am here to stay as I am in my 2 FB groups which I feel compliment each other, and there's not a thing wrong with that, so I will also continue to recommend them. Not only are they full of expert Numismatists as is this Forum, the FB groups let a young collector learn the do's and dont's and general etiquette of collecting by allowing them to see how people are responded to when they do things the right way as opposed to when they do things wrong. You would be surprised how many like minded folks there are in my FB Groups that, for example, preach how we should never watch a YouTube video because they are bunk. Among other similarities. So please don't down a media that you seemingly know nothing about.

Ok. My rant is complete. I hope you keep me around after reading it. Thanks for listening and do have a great day. -Karen

27 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ok, I cannot remain silent, lol, some of you know me well enough to know that. I love this Forum and all the guys in it. I have learned so much from from each one that has seen fit to grace my posts with their knowledge. Even the ones that like to say, 'Well I don't know much about...' always seem to come up with something to steer me in the right direction, and right or wrong they either get verification from others or we all work together to get the correct answer. 

Hinkle has a great point. We Newbies of 2019 probably do start out looking for the errors. It's what peaks our interest and gets us started. We soon realize after 50 rolls of 1955's without finding a single true DDO-001 that things in Numismatics aren't quite what we expected. While we do still go through our pocket change hoping against hope that we do find that one coin that will make it possible to enhance whatever collection we have managed to acquire, we realize that the chances are slim-except that now there was the Great American Coin Drop in April and still continues today thanks the aged collector who has nobody to leave their coins to. So maybe we will find something yet. But I think the biggest point is that once people realize the odds of finding something rare and cool, the ones that haven't already developed a love for the Coin will walk away and leave the rest of us to it, which I am perfectly fine with. The hunt for errors only weeds out those whom are only interested in the easy money and who do not care about the Numistical value that the collector sees. See? Weed them out, I say.

And as far as Facebook goes.... I joined about 50 groups before I found 2 groups that I have stuck with. With members like Chuck Daugherty, Lenny Matajasik, and even Potter himself, how can you go wrong? These FB groups have taught me to never ask about a coin without providing photos of both sides and of the area I question as well as a specific question of what I am trying to find out. Whether I am just showing off a new purchase or if I wonder if that odd area at the bottom of my Morgan is part of a number in between the denticals.

Now, without these guys right here (I would totally drop names here but would likely leave someone out and with their butts hurt, so I won't but they know who they are) in this particular Forum-because I also scoped out many other forums that were not up to snuff in my opinion and for me-I likely would have given up the hobby shortly after I found my Dad's Silver Quarters, and some of them likely wish I had, lol, but I am here to stay as I am in my 2 FB groups which I feel compliment each other, and there's not a thing wrong with that, so I will also continue to recommend them. Not only are they full of expert Numismatists as is this Forum, the FB groups let a young collector learn the do's and dont's and general etiquette of collecting by allowing them to see how people are responded to when they do things the right way as opposed to when they do things wrong. You would be surprised how many like minded folks there are in my FB Groups that, for example, preach how we should never watch a YouTube video because they are bunk. Among other similarities. So please don't down a media that you seemingly know nothing about.

Ok. My rant is complete. I hope you keep me around after reading it. Thanks for listening and do have a great day. -Karen

If Facebook floats your boat, go to it. I have never had an account and never will. Why? Because I know the likes of Zuckerberg, and I regard him as close to purely evil-intended. I have no desire to be his "product" that he sells to advertisers. You DO realize, I hope, that the federal government has fined them BILLIONS of dollars for misconduct, right? Whatever.

Edited by VKurtB