• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many styles of 2's was made for 1982 Penny

28 posts in this topic

sYes Gm to all who starting our day .Can someone please tell me,how many styles of 2's was made for the 1982 Penny.I'm seeing like 5 different 2's .as well with the 8 in the 1982 Penny.it's a small 8 and yet! It's a large date coin.Yes,it's can be confusing.large date 2 fat tail heading to the rim of the coin.small date 2.is small. Thin curve of the tail,which don't touch the rim..oh yes .if I have 6 20015-2017 P&D Native American dollar.uncirculated-60's how would you grade them.if they were sent to be graded by you.

1564142779518-763478241.jpg

15641429064541591552911.jpg

There were officially two styles/sizes of numerals used in 1982, but die wear, hub wear, slight movement of the die and/or planchet, variances in striking pressure and space between the dies, wear/damage on the coin, and environmental factors can all play a part in the appearance of the numbers on a coin.

As for your dollar coins, it is impossible to guess a grade from those pictures. We would need closer, clearer pictures of both the obverse and the reverse.

Now ! That's how I like to see information! Gm BoB ;) an thank you,because again you clear the air.because learning do pay off,I'm very challenging so pardon me sometimes when I seem close minded! I'm not. It's just that if I come to you! As In agreement to have a coin graded.it's not the money! If you say sir ,I will need to charge you$300. To grade this coin,I will look you in your eyes:) .ok done .now here is the stunning part.without the volume of rules and specs,you will grade my coin accordingly? Or if you see the coin has small numbers and letting,with a different coin die as well.sometimes if a coin is rare,yet! At it's best because of no abrasions from being in circulation.which doesn't shows the markings to those Marks! Or is that just to much that's not held at value in grading? 

Now please! If we all are collecting paper money or coins .we are in the stages of class 101 .meaning we come in dumb! Only to grab interest of why we started collecting! Now! In this fact the Brain's is the teacher yes you BoB! An yesss! A very good one at that! Ok ! Back to understanding how a 101 becomes a grader,third party! Only still we need those titles to stand out! However everyone do not teach as of you.So when I ask you the question, my apologies because I am not attacking anything about you as a person! It's a cold world in this hobby! So if I need to learn in different ways then the next person.we become a expect to gain access to information that's not in books! I have read chatboards ,where one company will talk bad about the other companies.So if you follow me and I know you do!this is where skills or promise is at state ! So with that being said,the third parties are not in the same space of mind as the day before.So today that coin won't get it's proper attention in grading! So if you have third-parties going at it,what's really going on behind the sense grading? Oh yes! People do come here with parking lot coins sometimes, because we know it make take a year or whatever to find that first good one to have slab.:) until then this a stepping stone board to collect data.So smile let's keep hunting and learning:)

I ask questions base on the events that occur or here learning .So when I thinking I learned something,then like what just happened! They come back graded all 60's ? Uncirculated.ok. how ?

The dollars you postedat the end, some show some definite light wear, and some of them are develioping some not very attrative toning.  If they were sent in for grading they would come back probably ranging from AU55 through MS-62.  I don't think any of them would make 63.  As such their values would be well less than the cost of slabbing them.

Gm to all:)  much thanks ! This is again why I ask questions the way I do ! You did see the coin container? From third-party .yet! The grading system of they came to that? When ! You just explain more logically form of the characters coin.So yeah! Things can be confusing LOL

The round container that held those dollar coins is not from a grading company. It is from a large company (Littleton) that sells coins. They buy bags and boxes of coins, and package them to sell to collectors. There is no guarantee that the grades are accurate, since they are the opinion of a seller, and not a third party grader.

Thank you! Sometimes I don't know no better.I went to Tulsa gold and coins .without knowing let them beat  me out of wheat pennies.2cents for each one.I had 1960 D and No MINT mark.large and small date.I was given 50 cents.:( so I'm learning.

12 hours ago, Collector3745 said:

Hey guys I’m MR Cashman ! How ya guys been? Lol The point is yes I recommend sending that dollar for grading. 

Which one?  He has shown about a dozen.

12 hours ago, R420coins said:

That's a nice proof coin .and thank you

If you mean the 69 S, I don't believe it is a proof.

On 7/28/2019 at 2:45 AM, Conder101 said:

Which one?  He has shown about a dozen.

If you mean the 69 S, I don't believe it is a proof.

+1 and +1. So … , does that make it +2?

None of the dollars are worth grading and that 69-S cent does NOT look like a proof, but is a very attractive coin.

SooNSometimes it's really hard to tell,because if you can see one is slightly larger than the other coin.which the head seems slightly larger,and also on the reverse side it shows 2different Initials.the dates on one the 8 is a large date.and the other 8 seems distance and smaller than normal.just as the on one coin touches the rim .while the other 2 seems smaller and distanced from the rim. ? I'm not that close to seeing it with your experience.also good afternoon to you and to all.

IMG_20190730_092241.jpg

IMG_20190730_091904.jpg

5 minutes ago, R420coins said:

SooNSometimes it's really hard to tell,because if you can see one is slightly larger than the other coin.which the head seems slightly larger,and also on the reverse side it shows 2different Initials.the dates on one the 8 is a large date.and the other 8 seems distance and smaller than normal.just as the on one coin touches the rim .while the other 2 seems smaller and distanced from the rim. ? I'm not that close to seeing it with your experience.also good afternoon to you and to all.

IMG_20190730_092241.jpg

IMG_20190730_091904.jpg

Both here are large date. I can see it immediately and don't even have to give any of these even a second look. It's "automatic" to me.

My indicator of choice us the distance from the bottom stroke of the "2" to the raised rim. To me, it almost screams out loud. On the small date, that distance is almost the width of the "2" itself. On the large date, the distance is well shorter than the width of the "2".

Now see how you said that,so you tell me please! What are these .and yes they are all copper penny 3.1 or so...like I said I do understand still when this stands out more than others,well I'm sure you do understand.

IMG_20190731_112720.jpg

IMG_20190731_105929.jpg

See I was told they was large dates.I'm like ok .the 2's are different from all other 2's .So I'm still trying to get that right.the 2 is no where near the rim .the distance between the numbers are much different.So yeah it's harder for me to see

1 hour ago, R420coins said:

See I was told they was large dates.I'm like ok .the 2's are different from all other 2's .So I'm still trying to get that right.the 2 is no where near the rim .the distance between the numbers are much different.So yeah it's harder for me to see

Also on the small date, the entire "relief" or "depth" of the obverse is noticeably flatter. It was created to prevent zinc break-throughs from the higher relief coin dies. But they still got those break-throughs anyway. Still, that was the purpose.

That last one looks odd, but that may be due to the shinier "wear" on the high points. I'd want to "tilt and swirl" that one under magnification. Set it aside for later examination, at least.

I guess my problem is,when the die is being distracting by old coin deposit.which shape into a weird forming 2 .or just the slightest date moving upwards ,giving it that right stop where it's supposed to be.lol anyway thank you