• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a coin, art, or both? A recent NCLT offering

17 posts in this topic

I'm not big on NCLT offerings or most anything modern for that matter, but I do collect coins, both circulating and NCLT, from the Isle of Man. A small relatively unknown island in the Irish Sea. It is. British dependency. Below describes the offering. 

I like the art and the offering, but I cannot call it a coin. What do you think? Do you like it? Is it a coin? 

The highlight of CIT’s coin portfolio at World Money Fair 2019 is a breathtaking three ounce silver issue for the Isle of Man (often referred to simply as Mann). While depictions on modern coins often lack a significant connection to the country of issue, Manannán – 1st King of Mann – is a treasure of folklore and cultural identity.

The coin, struck with smartminting technology in the shape of an ornamented celtic cross shows Manannán mac Lir “son of the sea” kneeling in knight’s armor clutching a shield and his sword Fragarach “the retaliator”. The polished Fragarach is adorned with the characteristic three-legged Manx triscelion.

Manannán derived his name from the Isle of Man and is said to be the first king and defender of the island. He is a vital part of Manx, Irish and Scottish mythology and folklore. Aside from his famous sword, Manannán is said to have possessed a cloak of invisibility and the Wave Sweeper, a ship able to cross the seas without sails.

The outstanding numismatic tribute to Manannán measures 55 mm in diameter, features an antique finish and nominal value of 5 £. Only 999 pieces will be struck of this Isle of Man issue. As a self-governing Crown dependency, Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state holding the title “Lord of Mann”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

If it's legal tender, then technically, it is a coin, although it looks more like a medal. Either way, I like it.

I'm tempted to buy one. Do you have a link to the website?

NCLT is tough.  Technically 'money' as they are 'legal tender' and have denominations.  Though I really like the design and story, it's appealing to my exonumia/medal collecting heart, not my numismatic heart.  Really cool looking.  I have plenty of 'pretty bullion', commemoratives, and NCLT myself, but in my heart of hearts, it's just not money or coins to me.  

Edited by Star City Homer

It's interesting that CIT who is located in Liechtenstein contacted the Tower Mint in England that produces circulating and NCLT coins for the Isle of Man for permission to mint the commemorative. In coordination with the Isle of Man government, CIT was allowed to mint the coin. The Tower Mint took over minting coins for the Isle of Man from the Pobjoy Mint and earlier the Royal Mint. The use of Isle of Man circulating coins are on the increase on the island. And although the coins are the same size as many of the English coins - they cannot be used in England, even though many find there way there similar to Canadian coins used in the U.S. 

Edited by Zebo

I woke up this morning thinking that 'clearly the first King of the Isle of Man was a time traveller or alien...the cloak of invisibility and the boat moving without sails sound like technology at work'.  Must have been having odd dreams...

16 hours ago, Conder101 said:

It is, if there are significantly more than a thousand people who want one.

Hard to say - they sold out quickly at a few shops. Good reviews at the world money fair. The Isle of Man does not have a large following, however. Maximum mintage is 999. Not sure if they will actually hit that number, I kind of doubt it.

And if it didn't, then everyone who wants one has it.  No aftermarket and price falls until it gets low enough that a few more people are willing to shell out that lower price.  The cycle continues until the price drops low enough that the number of people willing to pay that price exceeds the number available.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, Zebo said:

Not sure if I'd want to slab mine. Odds are its a 70.  

Agree. I prefer most of my medals raw though on high end rarities, an assigned grade makes them interesting. 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, Conder101 said:

And if it didn't, then everyone who wants one has it.  No aftermarket and price falls until it gets low enough that a few more people are willing to shell out that lower price.  The cycle continues until the price drops low enough that the number of people willing to pay that price exceeds the number available.

A mintage of 999 or anywhere near it isn't remotely low for something like that.