• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible rare find

7 posts in this topic

So I have found  a 1947 s mint penny missing t  in trust. ( TRUST  ). The T may have been a build up during stamp. Thought one might of tried to forge. But same thickness and weight. And ideas?

15633983401229206243569161934779.jpg

Either the lower stem of the "T" was removed by damage, and the evidence of that damage has been worn away, or the recess in the die that would have formed the lower stem was filled with grease or some other substance, preventing the metal from flowing into the recess and forming that part of the letter.

Creshonsky- You could  have added this picture to your previous post.

As I suggested then, it is a grease filled die, you can barely see the outline of the "T". No premium for a minor greaser.

There is really no way to know if anyone has ever had another coin just like that one. Chances are good that more exist, or at least have existed in the past, but you have to remember that in the 40s and 50s when this coin circulated, there were no books telling people to search their pocket change for rare errors, and no internet videos claiming that people could get rich off of common coins. This error is so small, it would have gone unnoticed by most people and any cent that had such an error would have continued to circulate until it was lost, worn, or destroyed.

Edited by Just Bob
left off a comma

So this has never been seen or heard of of this year then.

Grease filled dies can occur in any year of business strikes and are not uncommon. Even your coin would have more than one minted as it would take several strikes for the grease to be released from the cavity so yes, I'm sure they have been seen before.