• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have in my possession a bicentennial quarter which is supposed to have a denver mint mark. However, the d is completely closed. Any value to this coin as is?

20190716_225618.jpg

20190716_225744.jpg

Don't forget: pictures of the entire coin - obverse and reverse- help us to form more informed opinions. 

That said, I believe that a combination of wear, slight damage,  and die wear are responsible for the condition of your coin, including the date and mint mark.That is, assuming the reverse shows comparable wear to the obverse.

So what's the difference between MD and DDO or DDR?  If its doubled, then its doubled right. And what do you mean by broken post? The die was broken?

That is a good article about MD and DD but there is another form of doubling that adds no value to the coin and that is DDD,  (Die Deterioration Doubling or Die Fatigue) which is caused when a die is overused from striking so many planchets and the devices start to break down.  The metal will start flowing towards the rim causing a doubling effect.

Tridmn- You are right about the broken post, the die broke off from the constant pressure of striking coins. Any coin minted after it breaks off will look like that until they retire the die so it is not uncommon to find.