• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What it mean OBVERSE STRUCK THRU
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I am newer to coin collecting and am trying to learn.  So let me say thank you for any help.

I just had A coin Graded, and it came back;

NGC Cert #
4739996-003
NGC Description
2019 W Lowell Great American Coin Hunt First ""W"" Mint Mark Qtrs 25C
NGC Grade
MINT ERROR MS 66
Pedigree
OBVERSE STRUCK THRU
Can you tell me what that means?  Is it worth more or less?

First, let me welcome you to the forum and to the world of coins, if I have not done so already.

There was some sort of foreign object or substance on either the die, or the planchet (coin blank), or which otherwise somehow got between them, during the striking of your coin, and it left an impression, or lack of normal detail, (or both) on your coin. Thus, the coin was "struck through" this object/substance. It should add some value to your coin, but exactly how much is hard to say. I looked at three different error evaluation sites, but could not find a specific price range for struck-through errors. Your best bet may be to check completed auction results on Ebay, Great Collections, etc. for coins similar to yours. I would think that the hype surrounding these new issues would bring an extra premium, at least until the excitement settles down.

Congrats on a nice find. :banana:

Well I am not planning on selling the coin, like I said I am just getting into coin collecting and it sounds like this coin would be good to have. Unless some want to pay me a lot for it. And I do mean a lot. LOL,  Thank you so much Just Bob.

Just Bob gave an excellent explanation. I was just starting to type out my reply but scrapped it.

Would you please post a picture of the coin? The amount of  extra premium would depend on the type and size of the strike through. For example  a small struck through grease would not bring as much premium as a larger struck through some foreign object.

Greenstang, I will post a picture as soon as I get it in.  NGC has a picture is there can you look at it? Thank you for your help, I am learning.

Very nice @Rummy13 Congrats. From the NGC pictures I can't tell much, maybe a wide line crosh washington face.  NGC value Guide has it for  $130 very nice indeed. 

I hope you don't mind but I have cropped the image from NGC and marked where I see what might be the STRUCK THRU. By all means do not quote me on this. just my observations. 

~Manuel

image.thumb.png.3eda2c43c332a61b06b4655f8ea72f55.png

Considering how roughly these coins were treated, a 67 is a really nice score.

This will be a great opportunity to work on honing your grading skills. You have examples of three different grades, so you can compare the amount of surface marks, luster, strike, and eye appeal of each coin, and get some nice practice using these coins to help grade others that you find. Just remember to be consistent with your lighting and magnification. 

On 7/16/2019 at 12:45 PM, Just Bob said:

First, let me welcome you to the forum and to the world of coins, if I have not done so already.

There was some sort of foreign object or substance on either the die, or the planchet (coin blank), or which otherwise somehow got between them, during the striking of your coin, and it left an impression, or lack of normal detail, (or both) on your coin. Thus, the coin was "struck through" this object/substance. It should add some value to your coin, but exactly how much is hard to say. I looked at three different error evaluation sites, but could not find a specific price range for struck-through errors. Your best bet may be to check completed auction results on Ebay, Great Collections, etc. for coins similar to yours. I would think that the hype surrounding these new issues would bring an extra premium, at least until the excitement settles down.

Congrats on a nice find. :banana:

Hello so I’m new to this whole app and not sure how to use it but I got it to ask questions about my grandparents coin collection,I have no idea what some coins are and how much there worth and thought this app will help me,can you tell me if there’s a way I can post the collection on here or some coins on here ?

5 minutes ago, Damien28 said:

Hello so I’m new to this whole app and not sure how to use it but I got it to ask questions about my grandparents coin collection,I have no idea what some coins are and how much there worth and thought this app will help me,can you tell me if there’s a way I can post the collection on here or some coins on here ?

Welcome to the forum. The best thing for you to do would be to start your own thread in the newbie forum and post clear, cropped and properly oriented pics of both sides of the coins in question. There are many people who can help you here.