• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes it pays to double check yourself

13 posts in this topic

I purchased this coin a little bit ago and did a very surface level examination to figure out its relative value. In my haste, I was able to correctly identify the obverse as 2 (as distinguished by the toothed border and the position of the signature in relation to the border). I also managed to correctly identify the reverse as D (as distinguished by the toothed border, position of the signature, and thin shield lines). I assumed this was the more common 2-D pairing and I wrote it off as a decent example of a common coin. After closer inspection, I realized that this coin is actually the much rarer N over Z variety. The price difference between the two is substantial. The common 2-D is listed in Spink (2018) starts at 3 pounds in fine condition and jumps to 350 pounds in BU. The N over Z variety lists at 90 pounds in fine and jumps to 1,850 pounds in BU. Not a bad little discovery for a Monday night! Key characteristics include the A over V on the obverse, the re-touched “O” and tail like bit under the left foot of the N in ONE. Pictures are below including closeups of the key characteristics pointed out above. Any feedback on the close-up pictures would be helpful. I just recently purchased a macro lens attachment for my iPhone and this is the first run of pictures using it.

122848313_1860GreatBritainPennyNoverZ.thumb.jpg.8561b98cb5be91d5f050de3b328167f2.jpg553246461_1860NoverZcloseup.thumb.jpg.3857f1304a6314c46459f75b66a7562a.jpg

Edited by coinsandmedals
spelling

14 hours ago, jgenn said:

Your iPhone photos using the macro lens are quite good.  What brand is the macro lens?  I have the Moment telephoto lens for my iPhone and I know they also have a macro lens.

Thank you for the feedback! It is a viewow 15X macro traveller (their spelling not mine) lens. It also came with a 0.45 wide-angle traveller lens as well. It bought it off amazon for like $25. I didn't do much research on the purchase beforehand but I have been very happy with it so far. 

I did not realize how long it took me to submit this coin to NGC. I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to provide an update. I had some issues getting the variety listed on the holder (mechanical error), but as always, NGC customer service fixed the problem. Here is the final result in the slab. These are the cert verification images (edited to remove the cert number and barcode). 

1020508956_1860NoverZSlabOBV.-BlackedoutCertEDITEDEDITS.thumb.png.0e3984475ef986dd2ab314d9d9a5dd50.png544396119_1860NoverZSlabREV..thumb.png.88ff74d2a9fb040683117882c4c361e1.png

Dont take anything less than $3000 canadian I would grade that a ms red I have a 1825 britanniar to grade hope it's a good idea I submit a stack of my best coins this week i hope ngc is awesome in grading my coins alot of $7000 to $80,000 in coins i hope they come back what i thought peace