• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Lincoln Cent Transitional on Clad Dime Planchet

8 posts in this topic

The rim looks pretty well defined to be struck on a dime planchet.  But I'm no expert in these wrong planchet items.  How have you determined it's on a dime planchet?

I would think If it is on a dime planchet, it would be silver in colour. It looks to me like someone has ground the rim down to make it the diameter of a dime and as CRAWTOMATIC stated, the rim is too defined. 

This is what a cent on dime looks like. Note colour and lack of rim all the way around.

Cent on dime planchet.jpg

Since the mint was still striking silver dimes in 1964, it would be very unlikely that a clad dime planchet would find its way accidentally into the cent bin. Add to that the presence of a complete rim, and lack of silver coloring, as the others have mentioned, and I am going to say that this is merely a worn and damaged cent, minted on a cent planchet.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Silver dimes were coined right through 1965, as were 1964-dated cents, so it is possible for a 1964 cent to be struck on clad dime planchet, though the coin illustrated appears to be a normal cent with environmental damage.

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

Silver dimes were coined right through 1965, as were 1964-dated cents, so it is possible for a 1964 cent to be struck on clad dime planchet, though the coin illustrated appears to be a normal cent with environmental damage.

I knew that the silver dimes were minted after 1964, but I was not aware that '64 cents were also minted later. Thanks for that info.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I wrote a four-part series of articles about the 1964-dated coinage for The Numismatist which will be reprinted in NGC's eNews starting in September.