• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just starting

10 posts in this topic

Posted the same pic 3 times, my bad. Any help on anything I post is greatly appreciated. Whether it be approximate values, or just anything. These have not been graded.

Edited by Tridmn
Needed to add extra information

Hello and Welcome Tridmn!

Well, 1965 SMS nickels (or any denomination, for that matter of fact) are very common coins except with cameo contrast or in the very highest grades.  Your coins are nice, but they're typical of the 1965 SMS issues.  When I worked at a brick and mortar coin shop, we'd have sold 1965 SMS nickels raw and in this condition for about a dollar.  But, if you're building a starter set of Jefferson Nickels or SMS coins, your coins would be absolutely great for that!  They're nice, they're just not rare or of high value monetarily.

I hope that this was of some help to you!

~Tom

20190712_113221.thumb.jpg.c021ed3918223803fc240fe037719187.jpgdoes this 1980 d dime appear off center? On back side, the E in the word dime... double struck? 20190712_083315.thumb.jpg.84e2de73f0de11e0128a702d75bec842.jpgI was hoping they were the contrast when I purchased them. Bought them online. Sure you know how that goes. The sms nickels are just my nicest ones to post. I have an 83d quarter but in rough shape. A few wheat pennies. Bicentennial quarter in pretty good shape. Some Kennedy half dollars. Nothing yet worth too much. I do have another coin coming, but tbh not sure about it. It's a copper morgan. New, not old by any means. However, when looking it up, the reverse side; there are too many different variations.

20190712_113118.jpg

Hi again Tridmn,

We all have to start out somewhere, so what you have right now is your beginning collection.  Don't worry too much about the value yet....it's better to learn with less expensive coins :).  As for your 1980 dime, I do not see anything unusual about it from the pictures you posted.  It just looks like a regular 1980-D dime to me.  As for your 1965 SMS coins, you are very unlikely to find a bargain on those with cameo contrast.  It's widely known in the hobby how hard they are to find with cameo, so the prices are significantly higher for those pieces.  If you want help with your Morgan when you get it, post up pics.  I may not be the one who can help you much with it, but there are many people on here who collect Morgans and know a ton about them.

As always, I hope that this was of some help!

~Tom

20190712_113221.thumb.jpg.c021ed3918223803fc240fe037719187.jpgdoes this 1980 d dime appear off center? On back side, the E in the word dime... double struck? 20190712_083315.thumb.jpg.84e2de73f0de11e0128a702d75bec842.jpgI was hoping they were the contrast when I purchased them. Bought them online. Sure you know how that goes. The sms nickels are just my nicest ones to post. I have an 83d quarter but in rough shape. A few wheat pennies. Bicentennial quarter in pretty good shape. Some Kennedy half dollars. Nothing yet worth too much. I do have another coin coming, but tbh not sure about it. It's a copper morgan. New, not old by any means. However, when looking it up, the reverse side; there are too many different variations.

20190712_143139.jpg

20190712_143200.jpg

This isnt the copper one, but just 1 I have. It is silver. Any good way to clean it up without damaging it?  Or should I leave it as is. 

11 minutes ago, Tridmn said:

This isnt the copper one, but just 1 I have. It is silver. Any good way to clean it up without damaging it?  Or should I leave it as is. 

You should definitely leave it as is.....the general rule of thumb is to never clean a coin as collectors desire coins with original surfaces.  There are exceptions to that rule, but nothing you should worry about as a newbie.  I didn't catch that you said a copper Morgan before.....that can't possibly be a real coin, unfortunately.  It's likely a modern copper "bullion" round.  The 1881-S Morgan you posted appears to be the real deal, though.

Agree with Mohawk-

When posting a new coin, please put it on a new posting. It gets confusing when there are several different coins on the same post. Sometimes you don't know to which coin somebody is answering.