• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient coin help!

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, posting these two photos of my friends coins...these are as clear as I can get with the description on the coin. 

Any help is much appreciated.

711D741B-6058-432F-86BB-F79A1080054E.jpeg

6203845C-365D-4C97-AB0A-24CCF0C6C589.jpeg

Edited by B.L.21

Hi B.L.....

Well.....I collect ancients, but I do Roman Imperial.  I know nothing about the Greek coins, unfortunately.  I'm hoping someone else can jump in here, but I'll say this.....those coins are pretty worn, so it' may be difficult to discern much.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help B.L.  Good luck!

~Tom

1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

Hi B.L.....

Well.....I collect ancients, but I do Roman Imperial.  I know nothing about the Greek coins, unfortunately.  I'm hoping someone else can jump in here, but I'll say this.....those coins are pretty worn, so it' may be difficult to discern much.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help B.L.  Good luck!

~Tom

Im trying to get most clear photos of them, I’m getting them sent to me then screen shorting them lol

This is the coin that is being described on the paperwork in your pictures: (from Wildwinds)

image.png.a5f95d8899e14214338b00278efdd5a7.png

MACEDON, Tragilos. Circa 380 BC. Æ 15mm (4.24 gm). head of Hermes
  right, wearing petasos / TRAGLI-W-N, rose; grape cluster right. SNG
  ANS 907-910; BMC Macedonia pg. 132, 13 (Traelium); SNG Copenhagen 451;
  Laffaille 306. Near EF, dark green patina. ($200)

Triton V Sale, 15 Jan 2002, lot 301.

Lot sold for USD 200.

Used by permission of CNG, www.historicalcoins.com

From the Triton V Sale, January, 2002.

Used by permission of Classical Numismatic Group, www.cngcoins.com.

Dang, Bob, cool on you for finding that!  And stupid on me for not thinking of Wildwinds!  I use it all the time for Faustina the Younger coins :facepalm:.  As I said to Jonathan a little while ago, this dissertation is destroying my brain :/.

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Dang, Bob, cool on you for finding that!  And stupid on me for not thinking of Wildwinds!  I use it all the time for Faustina the Younger coins :facepalm:.  As I said to Jonathan a little while ago, this dissertation is destroying my brain :/.

Heh. You're committing dissertion. 2, 4, 6, 8, now it's time to dissertate! For some reason I enjoy mutilating that word. Must be an editor thing.

11 hours ago, JKK said:

Heh. You're committing dissertion. 2, 4, 6, 8, now it's time to dissertate! For some reason I enjoy mutilating that word. Must be an editor thing.

I love it!  That word needs to be mutilated as the damn thing is clearly mutilating my brain!  You're doing me a service by doing so, my friend.

14 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I am just going by the information posted above. If the OP's coin is the same as the one that I posted, I can't tell it. It is way too worn and damaged for me to see any details.