Ancient coin help!
1 1

9 posts in this topic

88 posts

Hey guys, posting these two photos of my friends coins...these are as clear as I can get with the description on the coin. 

Any help is much appreciated.

711D741B-6058-432F-86BB-F79A1080054E.jpeg

6203845C-365D-4C97-AB0A-24CCF0C6C589.jpeg

Edited by B.L.21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts

Hi B.L.....

Well.....I collect ancients, but I do Roman Imperial.  I know nothing about the Greek coins, unfortunately.  I'm hoping someone else can jump in here, but I'll say this.....those coins are pretty worn, so it' may be difficult to discern much.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help B.L.  Good luck!

~Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88 posts
1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

Hi B.L.....

Well.....I collect ancients, but I do Roman Imperial.  I know nothing about the Greek coins, unfortunately.  I'm hoping someone else can jump in here, but I'll say this.....those coins are pretty worn, so it' may be difficult to discern much.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help B.L.  Good luck!

~Tom

 

Im trying to get most clear photos of them, I’m getting them sent to me then screen shorting them lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,579 posts

This is the coin that is being described on the paperwork in your pictures: (from Wildwinds)

image.png.a5f95d8899e14214338b00278efdd5a7.png

 MACEDON, Tragilos. Circa 380 BC. Æ 15mm (4.24 gm). head of Hermes
  right, wearing petasos / TRAGLI-W-N, rose; grape cluster right. SNG
  ANS 907-910; BMC Macedonia pg. 132, 13 (Traelium); SNG Copenhagen 451;
  Laffaille 306. Near EF, dark green patina. ($200)

Triton V Sale, 15 Jan 2002, lot 301.
 
 Lot sold for USD 200.

Used by permission of CNG, www.historicalcoins.com

From the Triton V Sale, January, 2002.

Used by permission of Classical Numismatic Group, www.cngcoins.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts

Dang, Bob, cool on you for finding that!  And stupid on me for not thinking of Wildwinds!  I use it all the time for Faustina the Younger coins :facepalm:.  As I said to Jonathan a little while ago, this dissertation is destroying my brain :/.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,436 posts
2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Dang, Bob, cool on you for finding that!  And stupid on me for not thinking of Wildwinds!  I use it all the time for Faustina the Younger coins :facepalm:.  As I said to Jonathan a little while ago, this dissertation is destroying my brain :/.

Heh. You're committing dissertion. 2, 4, 6, 8, now it's time to dissertate! For some reason I enjoy mutilating that word. Must be an editor thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,866 posts
11 hours ago, JKK said:

Heh. You're committing dissertion. 2, 4, 6, 8, now it's time to dissertate! For some reason I enjoy mutilating that word. Must be an editor thing.

I love it!  That word needs to be mutilated as the damn thing is clearly mutilating my brain!  You're doing me a service by doing so, my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,579 posts
14 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Dang, Bob, cool on you for finding that!  And stupid on me for not thinking of Wildwinds!  I use it all the time for Faustina the Younger coins :facepalm:.  As I said to Jonathan a little while ago, this dissertation is destroying my brain :/.

I am just going by the information posted above. If the OP's coin is the same as the one that I posted, I can't tell it. It is way too worn and damaged for me to see any details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88 posts

Thanks for all the info...I passed it along. They’re not my coins, a friend asked about them so I asked in his behalf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1