• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this slab been opened and resealed?

7 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I recently started putting together a collection of Morgan Silver Dollars and looked to eBay as a way to add to it.

After receiving my first two slabbed coins that I purchased on eBay (separate purchases/sellers), I noticed the sides of the slabs seemed to be sealed different. In the picture I included,  the one on the right has what appears to be glued together.

The one on the left has arrows and no signs of any adhesive leaking from the slab. The label on this coin seems to be a little older, so I’m not sure if the process used to be different.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

John

5B5E7D2C-B637-4E5C-9E1E-BB62D1B45E27.jpeg

• Administrator

Hi John,

Would you please email me clear images of the front and back of the coin in the holder to my email address.  lisab@ngccoin.com

Thanks,

Lisa

• Administrator

Thank you.  I can say with our older holders you will see what looks like glue residue on the side of the holder and even something that looks like a white haze.  This will occur when the holders are being sonically sealed and not an unusual occurrence.

Thank you,

Lisa

On 5/28/2021 at 8:35 AM, Brian Mclendon said:

Now I'm having the same issue with the NGC coins coming off of eBay over half look like they've been resealed

Lisa points out that it isn't unusual but, in my experience, with some types/ generations of holders it is almost more rare to find one that doesn't have something like that on one or more sides.