• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth Grading?

50 posts in this topic

And I can speak for the German coins....none of them are worth grading either, Travis.  Just a suggestion for the future.....this thread with so many photos of so many coins was really some information overload.....it makes it hard to evaluate your coins and to type responses.  For example, the only coins in the thread I could help you with at all were the German and US coins.  I have either very limited knowledge or no knowledge of the coins from other countries.  I think you'll get better help if you post each coin separately.  It's more work, but you'll get better information, which is worth the extra effort in my opinion.  We're here to help, but please help us to help you :).

5 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

And I can speak for the German coins....none of them are worth grading either, Travis.  Just a suggestion for the future.....this thread with so many photos of so many coins was really some information overload.....it makes it hard to evaluate your coins and to type responses.  For example, the only coins in the thread I could help you with at all were the German and US coins.  I have either very limited knowledge or no knowledge of the coins from other countries.  I think you'll get better help if you post each coin separately.  It's more work, but you'll get better information, which is worth the extra effort in my opinion.  We're here to help, but please help us to help you :).

Thanks buddy, I’m trying to get all this done for my grandma’s children & could use some help. I mean, I have common sense, but not the experience you guys have & im try to get them the most possible for them. I’m almost ready to split them  3 ways & just give them to them..... ty for all you do!

1 minute ago, Travis Hale said:

Thanks buddy, I’m trying to get all this done for my grandma’s children & could use some help. I mean, I have common sense, but not the experience you guys have & im try to get them the most possible for them. I’m almost ready to split them  3 ways & just give them to them..... ty for all you do!

I understand....I can imagine that it's a big job.  It looks like she had a lot of coins.  Based on what I've seen so far, and please know that I mean no disrespect here, I think your grandma was more of a coin hoarder than an organized collector.  I think she just acquired coins in a haphazard, random way.  A lot of people do that and I've looked through many of those accumulations over the years.  I've only found key date coins twice in all the time I've done that.  I said that to say this: I think your three-way split solution may be the best one as it may be the easiest on you and on everyone else involved.  I mean, there is still a slim chance that a key date may pop up in the accumulation, but I wouldn't count on it.  But, of course, this is your decision to make.  I'm just providing some thoughts based on my 20 years of experience here and trying to maybe make this a bit easier on you.

16 minutes ago, Travis Hale said:

I actually believe your completely right about the 3 way split & I offered it & was turned down. So, due diligence for family& maybe a % payoff of nothing lol

The things we do for family, man......I'm so sorry to hear that Travis.  Well, we'll keep helping you as much as we can.  I'm sorry you got this dropped on you though. 

Based on the US coins, I'd guess that the foriegn ones aren't worth grading either - unless you have money to burn or some personal reason / motivation to do it.

I agree with Mark's comments. Try to do some research yourself - even if it's just on eBay - before you ask others for opinions. Don't post your whole collection at once. Consider posting the odd-balls one at a time in threads with titles that will help attract people knowledgable in that series - I know a fair bit about Wilhelm III 10G coins and Zimbabwean banknotes, but next to nothing about British or Ottoman coins.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, Mohawk said:

The things we do for family, man......I'm so sorry to hear that Travis.  Well, we'll keep helping you as much as we can.  I'm sorry you got this dropped on you though. 

After his father died my boss said he wanted to show me some old silver coins his dad had since he knew I was into coins. I told him they probably weren't worth much more than melt but I'd look for keydates just for fun if he wanted. He's never followed through more than a year later. In some ways I was just as happy to not deal with it but part of me was also curious to see the coins.