• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting new ebay review service by NGC

22 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, toyonakataro said:

Telling authentiticity just from images provided by eBay sellers? 

Grading proof coins from images? 

I hope this service won't cause troubles between NGC and their customers.

Below are their particulars, which I think are phrased broadly enough so as not to cause too many problems. I think that in most cases, they will be able to tell whether it's "likely" or "unlikely" that a coin is genuine. And they shouldn't have much difficulty with Proof coins, since they would be providing a grade range of 60-70. I do wonder about problem/details-grade coins, however.

• Authenticity Review ($5 per coin): An NGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the coin’s authenticity. The preliminary opinions of authenticity are: Likely Genuine, Likely Not Genuine or Inconclusive.

• Authenticity and Grade Review ($10 per coin): An NGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the coin’s authenticity and, if it is Likely Genuine, a preliminary opinion on its grade range. For US and world coins, the preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely Low Circulated (1-35), Likely High Circulated (40-58), Likely Uncirculated (60-70), Likely Proof (60-70) or Inconclusive. Similar opinions are given for ancient coins.

8 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

And they shouldn't have much difficulty with Proof coins, since they would be providing a grade range of 60-70

I should have read more carefully. I thought they were giving more specific grades.

7 minutes ago, toyonakataro said:

I should have read more carefully. I thought they were giving more specific grades.

That would not be advised on Proof coins, in particular.:wink:

Its an interesting concept, the grading opinion is by necessity very broad and perhaps not as useful.  The authenticity aspect I can see as very helpful and I hope that this service is advertised and buyers are made aware of this service as it could really help cut down on the costly tuitions.  

Always wondered why NGC didn't have a YouTube channel … 

Seriously. They have all kinds of weird guys talking foolishness about coins so why doesn't one of the big guys do something to promote coin grading.. I realize the ANA is squeezing every cent they can to stay afloat but if you do rudimentary beginner stuff you could have a pretty good channel...

Unless this is already being done then nevermind.

I won't be using it. 

I consider the authenticity aspect somewhat useful for coins which have a higher probability of being counterfeit, more US than otherwise.  First I have heard of it and would need to read the guarantee, where I assume there isn't one.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:29 AM, MarkFeld said:

Below are their particulars, which I think are phrased broadly enough so as not to cause too many problems. I think that in most cases, they will be able to tell whether it's "likely" or "unlikely" that a coin is genuine. And they shouldn't have much difficulty with Proof coins, since they would be providing a grade range of 60-70. I do wonder about problem/details-grade coins, however.

• Authenticity Review ($5 per coin): An NGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the coin’s authenticity. The preliminary opinions of authenticity are: Likely Genuine, Likely Not Genuine or Inconclusive.

• Authenticity and Grade Review ($10 per coin): An NGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the coin’s authenticity and, if it is Likely Genuine, a preliminary opinion on its grade range. For US and world coins, the preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely Low Circulated (1-35), Likely High Circulated (40-58), Likely Uncirculated (60-70), Likely Proof (60-70) or Inconclusive. Similar opinions are given for ancient coins.

I question the value of the grade review service especially.  If a person cannot tell "likely low circulated" versus "likely high circulated" or better, then that person should probably consider another hobby.  I'm betting the average novice could match NGC's ranges with a high degree of concordance.  Without seeing a coin in hand, I think authenticity review is going to be futile except for the most obvious counterfeit coins.  The photo quality is also horrendous.  The posters would probably fair better posting here or on other coin forums where there are experienced collectors, dealers, and experts who are likely to spend more time on it than a grader.

13 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

I question the value of the grade review service especially.  If a person cannot tell "likely low circulated" versus "likely high circulated" or better, then that person should probably consider another hobby.  I'm betting the average novice could match NGC's ranges with a high degree of concordance.  Without seeing a coin in hand, I think authenticity review is going to be futile except for the most obvious counterfeit coins.  The photo quality is also horrendous.  The posters would probably fair better posting here or on other coin forums where there are experienced collectors, dealers, and experts who are likely to spend more time on it than a grader.

My guess is that the largest potential benefit will be in hearing whether it’s likely that a particular coin is Unc. vs. AU.

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

My guess is that the largest potential benefit will be in hearing whether it’s likely that a particular coin is Unc. vs. AU.

And you're seriously going to tell me that anyone can reliably tell UNC vs AU from a picture? Enough to be worth charging for? 

You and I both know that's a load of bollocks. 

35 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

And you're seriously going to tell me that anyone can reliably tell UNC vs AU from a picture? Enough to be worth charging for? 

You and I both know that's a load of bollocks. 

It depends upon the image and the coin. But seeing as how the qualifier is “likely” in many cases, my answer would be yes. For example, many of us have seen coins listed for sale as Unc. and we can tell from the images that they aren’t.

I'm sure there won't be records of every decision, or if there are, they won't be made public, but I think it would be interesting to see the number of "inconclusive" decisions compared to other opinions.

Edited by Just Bob
typo

20 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

It depends upon the image and the coin. But seeing as how the qualifier is “likely” in many cases, my answer would be yes. For example, many of us have seen coins listed for sale as Unc. and we can tell from the images that they aren’t.

Well Mark, I think we've missed an opportunity. You and I should start charging for our forum posts. That's basically the same thing NGC is doing. We've missed the chance to commoditize our knowledge. 

Hey, NGC, I'll make you a deal and only charge $1 per post. You can keep the rest! 

Edited by physics-fan3.14

On 7/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Well if you can charge for it, and it is likely to result in another paid submission, and there is no obligation if you are wrong, why not?  Especially if there is the possibility you can sell the same opinion to multiple people.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Well Mark, I think we've missed an opportunity. You and I should start charging for our forum posts. That's basically the same thing NGC is doing. We've missed the chance to commoditize our knowledge. 

Hey, NGC, I'll make you a deal and only charge $1 per post. You can keep the rest! 

Can I get in on some of that?:gossip: