• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 d steel penny D/D rpm
1 1

14 posts in this topic

There's no way this could be a ditaration die sorry about my spelling. I feel if I had a microscope it would be clearer  to see the other D. I see a little line in the D, but I'm leaving it be I'm not rubbing it. That is a good pic off my phone. I feel you can just tell with that good of a close up. Hmmmm .🤔🧐What would be your guy's suggestions on this one. I'm probably jumping ahead on this one, but I got a good feeling about it.😁

20190708_141020.jpg

I agree, it's not DIE DETERIORATION.. I don't think it is a DD either as no 1943D DD  affected the MM. I couldn't find any record of a RPM looking like that either so I am going to say it is just some sort of PMD. Maybe it has taken a hit pushing the metal. Perhaps someone else can come up with a better explanation

5 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

I agree, it's not DIE DETERIORATION.. I don't think it is a DD either as no 1943D DD  affected the MM. I couldn't find any record of a RPM looking like that either so I am going to say it is just some sort of PMD. Maybe it has taken a hit pushing the metal. Perhaps someone else can come up with a better explanation

They have a D/D on the NGC variety. I was just hoping this was one also, but different from the pic on the varieties list. Man that is so cool looking though. 

4 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

I think there are 5 or 6 D/D varieties but as I stated, there are none that look like that. From what I can see, coin looks to be in good shape

Thanks, I had to read that again, I know what you mean now. Haha. 😁

Quoting DW Lange, from a post earlier this year, concerning a coin that looks like yours:

"That coin has a form of doubling commonly seen on 1943 cents that resulted from the erosive effects of the plated planchets. A line from the duplicate mintmark image toward the primary one points directly at the center of the coin, confirming that it is simply a result of die erosion. This is commonly seen on both the date and mintmark, always in the same direction away from the center.

NGC gets a dozen or more such coins each week, and they are all returned with the same conclusion."

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Quoting DW Lange, from a post earlier this year, concerning a coin that looks like yours:

"That coin has a form of doubling commonly seen on 1943 cents that resulted from the erosive effects of the plated planchets. A line from the duplicate mintmark image toward the primary one points directly at the center of the coin, confirming that it is simply a result of die erosion. This is commonly seen on both the date and mintmark, always in the same direction away from the center.

NGC gets a dozen or more such coins each week, and they are all returned with the same conclusion."

You sometimes see this same thing with Denver minted zinc Lincolns from the 1980's.  It seems especially bad on coins from 1983, 1984 and 1988 for some reason.

Thanks everyone, that was so close. But I'll keep hunting. All I can say I'm getting closer to that really great find. But good thing I don't get my hopes up, just a really good gutt feeling. I feel like the guy under that dollar hanging from the end of the fishing line and the old man pulling on the other end, saying you almost got it. 🤣🤣Idk if you ever watch the super bowl commercials but that how it feels lol.😂😎

12 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Thanks everyone, that was so close. But I'll keep hunting. All I can say I'm getting closer to that really great find. But good thing I don't get my hopes up, just a really good gutt feeling. I feel like the guy under that dollar hanging from the end of the fishing line and the old man pulling on the other end, saying you almost got it. 🤣🤣Idk if you ever watch the super bowl commercials but that how it feels lol.😂😎

I think you have a great attitude Hinkle.  Keep at it, you'll find something if you're persistent!  Just look at the ones that aren't anything as learning experiences.  I had to go through the same process when I got started again in 1999. 

~Tom

12 hours ago, Mohawk said:

You sometimes see this same thing with Denver minted zinc Lincolns from the 1980's.  It seems especially bad on coins from 1983, 1984 and 1988 for some reason.

I had the same questions with the 1982 D Lincoln last week and reading this post makes more sense to me now. Thank you all :D

3 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

I had the same questions with the 1982 D Lincoln last week and reading this post makes more sense to me now. Thank you all :D

It does make sense, I have a few of them myself. Have a 1988,1984, and 1992. By looking at them and looking at this one, it looks for sure like the ones I have. Hmmmm, interesting. 

18 hours ago, Hinkle said:

If it was that easy to find the good stuff, it wouldn't be good stuff any more... and it wouldn't be worth hunting for.

55 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

If it was that easy to find the good stuff, it wouldn't be good stuff any more... and it wouldn't be worth hunting for.

Well said Thompson!