• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever get one of those buyers you want to cut off before it goes too far....

25 posts in this topic

I'm really tempted now to ask him to send me pics of the 1970 P small dates he has....

(bolded is my previous reply to him about a listing)

"hi, you wrote this >>>> For 1970 only the S cents have the small & large date varieties,, but what about 1970 without a s. did they make any sm dates and lg dates, if you don't know, its ok, if a 1970 no s is a sm date, Then I can show you a photo in next email, but only if you know a sm date in 1970 is worth big bucks."

2 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I'm really tempted now to ask him to send me pics of the 1970 P small dates he has....

(bolded is my previous reply to him about a listing)

"hi, you wrote this >>>> For 1970 only the S cents have the small & large date varieties,, but what about 1970 without a s. did they make any sm dates and lg dates, if you don't know, its ok, if a 1970 no s is a sm date, Then I can show you a photo in next email, but only if you know a sm date in 1970 is worth big bucks."

Wow......I'm suspecting this guy here.  I think he's the only one who could come up with a 1970 Philly Small Date.

image.png.8352cfc0dd2d82ba3c337c2d3862c83a.png

Edited by Mohawk
Wrong word used

3 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Well you have to admit if he did have a Philadelphia small date, it WOULD be worth big bucks.   :)

You do have a point Conder, it really would.

19 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

If you can get a photo, please post it. It would be one o a kind.

Well here's the pic he shared.  And I'm usually not good at eyeballing small dates I can't zoom in on but it's pretty clearly a large date.  Same as the 70-S behind it.  But he just wasn't having it....<le sigh>

"u wrote this, I can't zoom in but from here it looks like both of those are the large date version. The top of the 7 is below the 0 in the large date. TOP OF 7 IS BELOW IN THE LG DATE, RIGHT, BUT LOOK AT MY SM DATE ITS JUST ABOUT EVENNAND THE 0 ISNT HIGHER, MY 1970 CENT SHOWS ITS THE SAME HEIGHT TO THE 7 AND THE 0, MY COIN LOOKS LIKE A HIGHCapture.PNG.a8b5bc5ca4b1f85ca6911d47a3570824.PNG 7 OR THE 70 MEETS IN A STRAIGHT LINE NO?"

25 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Wow......I'm suspecting this guy here.  I think he's the only one who could come up with a 1970 Philly Small Date.

image.png.8352cfc0dd2d82ba3c337c2d3862c83a.png

any idea how quickly these guys reach breeding age?  I'm afraid we might be on the verge of a population explosion and may need to actively thin the herd.  Can we get some volunteers to start up YouTube channels with actual legit info & discussions?  It's the only way to reach them.  Plus, there's been plenty of times where I was like, "I wish I could just watch a tv show about coins that isn't just Rick Tomaska selling MS61 double liberty's (liberties?)."

10 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Well here's the pic he shared.  And I'm usually not good at eyeballing small dates I can't zoom in on but it's pretty clearly a large date.  Same as the 70-S behind it.  But he just wasn't having it....<le sigh>

"u wrote this, I can't zoom in but from here it looks like both of those are the large date version. The top of the 7 is below the 0 in the large date. TOP OF 7 IS BELOW IN THE LG DATE, RIGHT, BUT LOOK AT MY SM DATE ITS JUST ABOUT EVENNAND THE 0 ISNT HIGHER, MY 1970 CENT SHOWS ITS THE SAME HEIGHT TO THE 7 AND THE 0, MY COIN LOOKS LIKE A HIGHCapture.PNG.a8b5bc5ca4b1f85ca6911d47a3570824.PNG 7 OR THE 70 MEETS IN A STRAIGHT LINE NO?"

Hi Craw,

I actually am good at eyeballing 1970 Small Dates (they're one of the varieties I sell a fair amount of) and he's dead wrong on both of them.  Both are, unsurprisingly, Large Dates.

14 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

any idea how quickly these guys reach breeding age?  I'm afraid we might be on the verge of a population explosion and may need to actively thin the herd.  Can we get some volunteers to start up YouTube channels with actual legit info & discussions?  It's the only way to reach them.  Plus, there's been plenty of times where I was like, "I wish I could just watch a tv show about coins that isn't just Rick Tomaska selling MS61 double liberty's (liberties?)."

I agree....we're starting to have a real Hippo problem around here.  I think that they've found the perfect environment to quickly reach maturity: YouTube.  There, they find vast, vast quantities of their most nutritious food: YouTube Coin Videos.  This has combined to cause a population explosion.  Sadly, YouTube is just one environment for them.  Many of them like to swim into our little river once they've consumed a large number of YouTube Coin Videos so that they can then muckspread the end result of their digestion of said YouTube Coin Videos.  What we need to do is find a way to raise ourselves some large, online coin crocodiles to thin the herd.

Edited by Mohawk

I realize it’s often easier and more enjoyable to make fun, but why not make at least minimal effort to educate, instead? At least that way, you’ll know that you tried.

21 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I realize it’s often easier and more enjoyable to make fun, but why not make at least minimal effort to educate, instead? At least that way, you’ll know that you tried.

To be fair, I'm still in communication with him.  It wasn't long ago (subjective terms) I was watching YouTube videos and sorting through bank boxes on the weekend so I know the hope he may be having.  Plus I know the world of info in store for him if he dives down the rabbit hole of numismatics.  I just came here for a side laugh with those that might appreciate it.  

1 minute ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

To be fair, I'm still in communication with him.  It wasn't long ago (subjective terms) I was watching YouTube videos and sorting through bank boxes on the weekend so I know the hope he may be having.  Plus I know the world of info in store for him if he dives down the rabbit hole of numismatics.  I just came here for a side laugh with those that might appreciate it.  

(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

In all seriousness, Mark, I do agree.  However, it does sound like Craw was trying to educate the guy in the original post and the guy wouldn't listen to Craw at all.  He was absolutely certain that he had a coin that does not exist, a 1970 Philly Small Date Cent and no matter what Craw said, he was wrong and this guy was right.  I am a huge proponent of education and I feel that it is hugely important.  That's why I always try to jump in on the Newbie Help board whenever I can in a polite, happy, friendly and upbeat manner.  But, some people won't let you educate them.  They have all the answers and you're just wrong if you disagree with them, no matter how many years of experience you have in this hobby, no matter how long you've bought and sold collectible coins and no matter how accomplished you are.  They saw some guy on YouTube say that what they have is a possibility and that's all that matters.  To me, it sounded like a frustrating situation for Craw in dealing with a guy who, from what Craw said, sounds a lot like our old buddy Collector 3745. So, I had a little fun with it.  Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do but I was trying to lighten the mood some.  But, I was also trying to bring up, in my own way, a real problem in the hobby right now: these coin videos that are popping up on YouTube that are essentially just clickbait with people making ridiculous, sensationalist claims, spreading tons of misinformation and causing many other problems.  I've even started to see a few of them coming on here, trying to get members of the boards to watch their videos.  Honestly, from what I've seen, these YouTube guys are worse than the guys who sell coins on TV.  The TV guys overcharge horribly and make unrealistic claims to the rarity of the coins they are selling but every now and then, they actually do share some accurate knowledge.  The YouTube guys, from what I've seen, almost never do.  If I was out of line here at all, I do apologize.....I have a weird sense of humor sometimes and I also know that my timing can be bad with it also. 

50 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

In all seriousness, Mark, I do agree.  However, it does sound like Craw was trying to educate the guy in the original post and the guy wouldn't listen to Craw at all.  He was absolutely certain that he had a coin that does not exist, a 1970 Philly Small Date Cent and no matter what Craw said, he was wrong and this guy was right.  I am a huge proponent of education and I feel that it is hugely important.  That's why I always try to jump in on the Newbie Help board whenever I can in a polite, happy, friendly and upbeat manner.  But, some people won't let you educate them.  They have all the answers and you're just wrong if you disagree with them, no matter how many years of experience you have in this hobby, no matter how long you've bought and sold collectible coins and no matter how accomplished you are.  They saw some guy on YouTube say that what they have is a possibility and that's all that matters.  To me, it sounded like a frustrating situation for Craw in dealing with a guy who, from what Craw said, sounds a lot like our old buddy Collector 3745. So, I had a little fun with it.  Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do but I was trying to lighten the mood some.  But, I was also trying to bring up, in my own way, a real problem in the hobby right now: these coin videos that are popping up on YouTube that are essentially just clickbait with people making ridiculous, sensationalist claims, spreading tons of misinformation and causing many other problems.  I've even started to see a few of them coming on here, trying to get members of the boards to watch their videos.  Honestly, from what I've seen, these YouTube guys are worse than the guys who sell coins on TV.  The TV guys overcharge horribly and make unrealistic claims to the rarity of the coins they are selling but every now and then, they actually do share some accurate knowledge.  The YouTube guys, from what I've seen, almost never do.  If I was out of line here at all, I do apologize.....I have a weird sense of humor sometimes and I also know that my timing can be bad with it also. 

I understand. And believe me, I can relate and empathize!

On most days, I receive multiple inquiries of the type you mentioned. I’m an expert...unless or until I tell someone something they don’t want to hear. You know, like that their coin with random circulation marks isn’t covered with letters, numbers or amazing images. And/or that their pocket change isn't worth hundreds, thousands or even millions of dollars. At that point, I”m sometimes told that I don’t know what I’m talking about.😉

As just one very recent example of the “fun” I have...I received an email from someone purporting to have a 1943 copper cent. The coin was indeed a wheat cent. But it had a hole in it, which included the area of the last three digits of the date. 

Still, no matter what the question or comment, I try to be polite and helpful. It’s not always easy.

Edited by MarkFeld

15 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

On most days, I receive multiple inquiries of the type you mentioned. I’m an expert...unless or until I tell someone something they don’t want to hear. You know, like that their coin with random circulation marks isn’t covered with letters, numbers or amazing images. And/or that their pocket change isn't worth hundreds, thousands or even millions of dollars. At that point, I”m sometimes told that I don’t know what I’m talking about.😉

As just one very recent example of the “fun” I have...I received an email from someone purporting to have a 1943 copper cent. The coin was indeed a wheat cent. But it had a hole in it, which included the area of the last three digits of the date. 

Mark, I can only imagine the inquiries you encounter in a day.  You must get some real gems.  That "1943" copper cent you mentioned reminds me of a "1922 High Relief" Peace Dollar someone showed me once.  Of course, it was a 1921 with a hole drilled through the 1.  Gotta love "rare coins" with big holes drilled through them.  Another great one I remember was the "1906-S" Peso that I was shown once......it was a crudely altered 1908-S Peso.  It wasn't even the correct size or type :facepalm:.  And then there was the 2009 dated Trade Dollar.........but you're right here:

Still, no matter what the question or comment, I try to be polite and helpful. It’s not always easy.

I always try to do the same until the person in question does not allow me to do so.   I can think of two users on here who did not allow me to be so to them.  That sadly happens, too.  It can be very hard sometimes.

Edited by Mohawk

...and now I feel pity.  :(  This guy & I literally exchanged roughly 5 emails yesterday and my last 2 had paragraphs, empathy for the hunt, and suggestions for best identifying small/large dates.

"Don't know if I spoke to you, do you know if they only made large dates in 1970,,, I know they made both sm and lg. dates with the s, but what about a 1970 without an s, did they make any sm date cents. if you email me back I can show you my photo to let me know if it looks like a sm date to you, thanks"

So I've reminded him we talked a bit and suggested he visit a local coin dealer for opinion.  

1 hour ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

...and now I feel pity.  :(  This guy & I literally exchanged roughly 5 emails yesterday and my last 2 had paragraphs, empathy for the hunt, and suggestions for best identifying small/large dates.

"Don't know if I spoke to you, do you know if they only made large dates in 1970,,, I know they made both sm and lg. dates with the s, but what about a 1970 without an s, did they make any sm date cents. if you email me back I can show you my photo to let me know if it looks like a sm date to you, thanks"

So I've reminded him we talked a bit and suggested he visit a local coin dealer for opinion.  

I think that's a good plan Craw.  The 1970-S Small Date variety is a tricky one for many people and it's one that a lot of people screw up a lot.  Hopefully a local dealer, talking to the guy face to face can show him better ways to discern the 1970-S Small Date.  He seemed stuck on the position of the 7 relative to the 9 and 0, which is actually the worst way to try to discern between them.  The best way I know of is to look at the inside of the 9.  If the inner loop of the 9 points straight inward toward the 7, it's a Small Date.  If it points downward toward the mint mark, it's a Large Date.  Once you've seen a lot of them, the difference in the shape of the 9's in the two varieties begins to jump out at you.  I think it's best that this guy moves on to someone else to try to learn this, someone who can both show him examples in person and maybe explain to him that 1970 cents are 49 years old now and Lincoln Cents are heavily collected......if there were Small Dates for Philly and Denver, they'd almost certainly have come out of hiding by now.  I strongly think that the only reason that the 1982-D Copper Small Date Cents were able to hide as long as they have is because you have to weigh them to determine the composition and most people just took the US Mint at their word that all 1982-D Small Dates were zinc, so not many people bothered to weigh them.

Edited by Mohawk

8 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Thank you for trying.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:11 PM, MarkFeld said:

muppets.jpg

Darn......I was pretty sure this was a '43 copper.....It doesn't stick to a magnet !

lincoln-wheat-cent.jpg

Edited by thebeav