• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1925-S DDO?

19 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, WK007 said:

Really?   I thought it looked like stage C of 1925-S DDO-001, 1-O-VI.  I am hoping to get the hang of this one day.

http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/1925SDDO001.htm

Well, in looking at your coin and the photos in the link, I think it could be the variety you think it is.  It looks like most of the die markers are there, based on your photos.  But, that said, this is a pretty minor variety and while I'm quite versed in varieties on Memorial Cents as I sell modern US coins, I'm not as well versed on Wheat Cent varieties, so I'll feel more comfortable with the attribution when and if someone who is more versed in this area than I am confirms it.

I am trying to learn the process, so I look at each coin.  Sometimes my eyes play tricks on me.  I am making me a reference notebook for me and my family so we can have examples of different types of varieties.

2 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Would you please show a clear photo of the date and then I will tell you why I think it is not your DDO

I'll be interested to see what you have to say on this one, Greenstang.  I know I could definitely be wrong here (hence my disclaimer about minor When Cent varieties with me)......hopefully we'll get that date pic.  Until then.......:popcorn:

Good enough, thanks.

What I wanted to show you was the date and MM on the Stage C compared to yours. Note the style of the 2 and notice the "S" MM is farther to the left. They could not have been struck from the same die. Sometimes things can be close but on DD everything has to be exact. Keep looking though, they are out there.

Stage C Date and MM767337127_StageC.jpg.629b2b887215cf4584a3bb41d2147128.jpg

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

7 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Good enough, thanks.

What I wanted to show you was the date and MM on the Stage 3 compared to yours. Note the style of the 2 and notice the "S" MM is farther to the left. They could not have been struck from the same die. Sometimes things can be close but on DD everything has to be exact. Keep looking though, they are out there.

Stage 3 Date and MM767337127_StageC.jpg.629b2b887215cf4584a3bb41d2147128.jpg

Ahhh......I see what you're saying now Greenstang.  Good catch!  Sorry I screwed that one up :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Mohawk said:

Ahhh......I see what you're saying now Greenstang.  Good catch!  Sorry I screwed that one up :facepalm:

Vingt coups de pied au cul !

Not to worry Mohawk, that's the beauty of coin forums. You have more than one set of eyes looking at a coin so if someone misses something, somebody else may catch it. I know I have screwed up and had someone thankfully correct me so that the OP was not misinformed.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

Vingt coups de pied au cul !

lol I love it!  Even though I had to use Google Translator to appreciate it, my friend.

9 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

lol I love it!  Even though I had to use Google Translator to appreciate it, my friend.

I was gambling on you sharing an affection for Voltaire. Candide was the first literature I ever read in the original. (And it took for*spoon*ing ever, plus I got a bucket of passé simple in the visage.)

1 minute ago, JKK said:

I was gambling on you sharing an affection for Voltaire. Candide was the first literature I ever read in the original. (And it took for*spoon*ing ever, plus I got a bucket of passé simple in the visage.)

Voltaire is very cool, but it's been about twenty years since I've delved into any of his works and I'm beginning to think that 8 years of post-grad education is starting to push stuff out of my brain :whatthe:.  And I only read him in English, sadly.  I can't believe I didn't catch that once I translated it though :facepalm:.....this is your brain on dissertation!

Just now, Mohawk said:

Voltaire is very cool, but it's been about twenty years since I've delved into any of his works and I'm beginning to think that 8 years of post-grad education is starting to push stuff out of my brain :whatthe:.  And I only read him in English, sadly.  I can't believe I didn't catch that once I translated it though :facepalm:.....this is your brain on dissertation!

"Tom, we've gathered you here because we care about you. Your addiction to dissertation has negatively affected us in the following ways..."

I almost forgot.....kudos for reading Candide untranslated!  That's awesome! 

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

"Tom, we've gathered you here because we care about you. Your addiction to dissertation has negatively affected us in the following ways..."

I'm starting to think that I may need an intervention with this thing.  I'm so sorry to my coin family that my addiction has impacted you all negatively.  I take responsibility for my actions and I intend to seek help lol