• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter eagle fake?

13 posts in this topic

I inherited this from my Dad when he past away. I think it’s a counterfeit.but Doesn’t bother me I still will cherish it but would love for someone to tell me how it is and what the difference is between a real one vs this one. 

Thanks!

DFCAB043-8015-46DF-8E20-390163D3D991.png

Green is right. However, just looking at what we can see so far, I should think not too many counterfeits would show such grooves. I suspect they are from abrasive cleaning, but I can't be sure.

This is one of those weird situations in which I replied to this post hours ago, and then either forgot to send, or I did send, and my words were eaten by the Web Monster.

Either way, I will re-post:

Welcome to the forum,Cat.

I don't see anything that jumps out at me and yells,"fake." but a picture of the reverse should certainly help us. And, as Greenstang requested, if you can get the weight in grams, that would be a big plus.

I'm so glad you guys have got this one.....I suck at Indian $2.5's and $5's.  That's another thing that I never collected and that my old boss liked, so I never got much experience with them at the shop as he did all of that. 

37 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I'm so glad you guys have got this one.....I suck at Indian $2.5's and $5's.  That's another thing that I never collected and that my old boss liked, so I never got much experience with them at the shop as he did all of that. 

When it comes to Mint State Indians, I don't even try to grade from pictures. The texture throws me off too much.

I have to admit though, I really like the design - obverse and reverse - and the proof versions are really special, in my opinion. They are some of my dreams coins. Unfortunately, they are WAY out of my price range.

I'm not an expert on these but comparing your photos with that of a genuine coin, I can't see anything that jumps out at me as to this being counterfeit.

If you ever get a chance to weigh it, it should weigh in at 4.18g with a variance of only .02g. This would verify its authenticity.

Why do you think it is counterfeit?  Your coin is die struck.

Some known counterfeits have extra die polishing seen on the neck, can not tell from your pics as if counterfeit, is a better one.

13 hours ago, Just Bob said:

When it comes to Mint State Indians, I don't even try to grade from pictures. The texture throws me off too much.

I have to admit though, I really like the design - obverse and reverse - and the proof versions are really special, in my opinion. They are some of my dreams coins. Unfortunately, they are WAY out of my price range.

As far as US gold goes, I'd agree that they're not bad either.  Vastly better than Liberty Head Gold, I'd say.  I'd never go out and buy one, I don't think, because that's a decent chunk of money that could go into my Roman collection but, with an unlimited budget, I'd consider it.  The proofs have a cool look to them....I've seen one, a 1909 $2.50, but yeah...those are crazy money!  They're way out of my price range as well.

I have to admit, I really was hoping to see a D mint mark on the reverse, for your sake. That would have meant a 12-fold or so increase in the value of your coin. The good news, though, is that since your coin is not the rare 1911D, it is probably less likely to be a fake.

Since the best any of us on here can do is give an opinion, and so far, no one has stated that they think it is fake, I think your next step should be to find a reputable coin dealer in your area, and have it looked at in person and weighed. Greenstang gave you the proper weight above, so if it varies from that more than the accepted tolerance, you will have your answer.

Good luck, and let us know the results, should you decide to weigh it.

Coin looks legit - weight will be the key.

Nice little gift from your Dad - sorry for his passing