• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Currency Find- Authentic or replica

10 posts in this topic

So I purchased this 15 years ago at an antique estate sale among confederate bills and other early 1800's coins, all were authentic.  Never could tell if this was the real deal.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

20190703_125736.jpg

20190703_125746.jpg

1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

May as well :facepalm: again huh … well I am leaving my mistake because I earned it... Man I got to up my game.

Actually, I am glad you made that mistake. That link you posted was to one of the websites that I had bookmarked on my old computer, but forgot to add when I got this current laptop. Thanks for reminding me about it.

It's okay Maul.....I've had my share of :facepalm:'s myself.  And at least your :facepalm: helped Bob out.  I don't think any of mine have helped anyone.

Edited by Mohawk

On 7/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, Jvegas said:

So I purchased this 15 years ago at an antique estate sale among confederate bills and other early 1800's coins, all were authentic.  Never could tell if this was the real deal.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

20190703_125736.jpg

20190703_125746.jpg

This piece is completely genuine, but it is not a coin, it's a medal.

This is the bronze, 1962 Bashlow Restrike (HK-853A) of the famous 1876 Dickeson Continental Dollar copy (HK-853). These are fairly popular and can sell for good prices in the right grades. This one does not look bad, considering the sulfurous packaging that caused almost all of these to tone.

We have done a couple different educational articles on the variations of these medals:

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/Research-Articles.php