• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on this coin, interested in selling

32 posts in this topic

It appears to be the reverse of a Saint-Gaudens double eagle - a $20 gold piece. Can you show a picture of the obverse side (the side with Lady Liberty and the date)?

13 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

At first glance, I sincerely doubt this coin is genuine. The lack of detail and lackluster strike makes me suspicious. 

Well my Camara on my phon

15 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

At first glance, I sincerely doubt this coin is genuine. The lack of detail and lackluster strike makes me suspicious. 

My Camara on my phone isn't the greatest, took me awhile to try to get it on focus.but I assure u it is one of the beautifulist coins I've ever seen. I could try to take better pictures

The last two pictures are a significant improvement. Unfortunately, they just further confirm my suspicions. Here is a closeup image from the NGC coin explorer page. Comparing your coin with the example provided, you’ll notice that the details on your coin are crudely struck and not entirely complete. To me, this is an indication that this coin is not genuine. 

Click here for more pictures

Edited by coinsandmedals
Added link

3 hours ago, Coincident said:

Tried to take some better pics for ya

20190630_124501.jpg

Yikes!

I did not want to say anything without seeing a picture of both sides, but. yeah, the other guys are correct.Your coin may appear beautiful to you, but it is not genuine. Sorry.

Edited by Just Bob
typo

So what is ungenuine about this coin 

Everything. Did you compare your pictures with the ones that coinsandmedals provided?

Also does yours have edge lettering? What is the weight of yours?

8 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Everything. Did you compare your pictures with the ones that coinsandmedals provided?

Also does yours have edge lettering? What is the weight of yours?

Yes I compared it, it is identicle in every way, I do remember seeing marking all the way around the boarder of the coin, I'll take some pictures of it when I get home tonight

It is 100% a fake 100% guaranteed.  However as you don't seem to believe anyone here I suggest that you submit it for grading, just don't be surprised when it comes back as not authentic. 

Edited by Coinbuf

I agree with the others.....that double eagle is a definite fake.  The details are all wrong and, compared to a genuine Saint Gaudens $20, it is very poorly made.  Here's NGC's Coin Explorer page on the 1914 Philadelphia Mint double eagle, which is the genuine coin that your piece is a fake of:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/saint-gaudens-20-1907-1933-pscid-70/1914-20-ms-coinid-19164

If you closely compare your "coin" to the photos, you should begin to see how everything on your piece is all wrong.  Sorry for the bad news.

Edited by Mohawk

2 hours ago, Coincident said:

Yes I compared it, it is identicle in every way,

Although your piece has the same design as a genuine coin, it is nowhere near identical. Look at the hair, face and tips of the rays. You need not look any farther than that to see that your piece is not an identical match.

Look, no one on here is trying to deceive you, beat you out of your coin, or cause you grief in any way. We are just trying to alert you to the fact that you have a replica, not a coin, and save you some money and heartache.

23 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Although your piece has the same design as a genuine coin, it is nowhere near identical. Look at the hair, face and tips of the rays. You need not look any farther than that to see that your piece is not an identical match.

Look, no one on here is trying to deceive you, beat you out of your coin, or cause you grief in any way. We are just trying to alert you to the fact that you have a replica, not a coin, and save you some money and heartache.

Very well said, Bob and very true.  :golfclap:

Sounds like this may have been an expensive lesson, and, if so, I am truly sorry about that. I am afraid that I don't have much good news. Makers of replica or fake gold coins usually don't make them out of gold, so it probably has very little value, if any. There have been exceptions, but they are normally made of a base metal that has been thinly gold plated. Sometimes they don't even use real gold for the plating. Your best bet may be to find a coin or bullion dealer near you, and take it to them to be tested. They should do that for free. I hope it turns out to be at least partly gold, but I would not get my hopes up, if I were you.

I feel like such a fool now 

No need to feel like a fool. I'm sure that most of us have made rookie mistakes. I just hope that it wasn't an expensive lesson.

22 hours ago, Coincident said:

I feel like such a fool now 

Don't feel like a fool....a lot of us have had this happen to us.  Before I became active in thematic collecting and my Faustina the Younger coins, I was an active collector of Ottoman coinage.  I purchased a gold 100 Kurush coin from the last Ottoman Sultan Mehmed VI, whose coins are scarce to rare and command significant premiums in most cases.  The coin looked right in every way and its weight was within tolerance.  I sent it to NGC, only for it to come back in a body bag with a little label that said "Not Genuine".  I was stunned!  At the time, I worked at a brick and mortar coin shop and we also bought scrap gold and platinum.  So, we tested my "100 Kurush" and it was made of gold....but of a completely incorrect alloy for an Ottoman 100 Kurush! So, I ended up selling my "treasure" to my boss for gold scrap. We then heavily defaced it and threw it in the melt pile.  My boss was considering keeping this "coin" for his black cabinet but he decided it was too good of a fake and it had to be destroyed.  Many of us have been here and it sucks.  But, the best thing to do is to pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, take your newfound knowledge and get back on the horse.  Knowledge is a valuable commodity, especially in this hobby, no matter how you come by it.  You'll do better next time and you've already taken a big step toward not having a repeat of this experience: joining this forum.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and there are also a ton of NGC resources to help you further with your learning processes.

Edited by Mohawk
I can't type.

21 minutes ago, Coincident said:

$1k lesson

Ouch!.....I don't remember what my 100 Kurush adventure cost me, but it was significant too.

I want to thank everyone for all their knowledge that u all have provided, I'm sorry if i came off to anyone in not good nature, I was just so skeptical because I am new to this forum and hobby. I really appreciate all the advice everyone has took the time out of their own lives to help me. Still disappointed in myself though, for not doing g the proper research first. Things are never to good to be true for me, so I should have known that it applied to this situation as well.

Have you contacted the person who sold you the coin?  IF they have any scruples they will work with you. If not, then out them here if they are an eBay seller so we can all learn from your experience. I lost $880 on a 1916s Indian Eagle two months ago. I sent it in to be graded and got the "Not Genuine" tag. So the cost of the coin AND shipping and grading fees added some salt to the wound.  Most of us have paid our dues but some just can't admit it. :)  Good luck in your future acquisitions.