• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 s Doubled Die Penny?

25 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a "coin noob".   I did a fair amount of coin roll hunting with my father long ago and I have many coins as a result.  Do I have a particularly rare penny?   I am not sure.    I will attach pictures of this 1969 s penny.   I thought the rim of the penny was fairly suspicious as it clearly splits into two, indicating this might be a doubled die.   Can anyone shed some light on this potential error coin?  Why would the left side of the coin be a doubled rim?  I am not seeking a true appraisal as of now, but if I could just understand what I am holding I would be a happy camper.   I will attach images of the coin.  Thank for anyone who posts!

20190627_160401.jpg

20190627_160431.jpg

20190627_160339.jpg

20190627_161129.jpg

20190627_160454.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

Well.....your coin does not appear to be a Doubled Die.  Here's our host's Variety Plus page to show you what that coin looks like.....if you have one, you'd know immediately.  It stands out like a sore thumb:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-memorial-reverse-1959-2008/815704/

Your coin appears to be a regular, circulated 1969-S Lincoln Cent.  It's a very common coin worth face value, unfortunately.

I hope this helps some and I'm sorry the news isn't better.

~Tom

I am not Collector3745, I am completely new here.   I was just intrigued by the nature of the rim of the penny, since it really looks like it splits and is doubled on the left hand side of the penny.   My name is John, and this is the first time I have used this forum.  Thanks.

Nah, he's not Collector3745, Coin Cave......this post was way too coherent, well written, doesn't have a whole string of ridiculous emojis and he actually asked a question instead of proclaiming his coin to be something.  To John, to fill you in since you're new, Collector3745 is a notorious troll here and one of his absolute favorite ways to troll us is by proclaiming that he found a 1969-S Doubled Die cent in a rambling, poorly written and spelled post where he makes juvenile and pathetic attempts to insult members here and inform us that we're all wrong.  These posts are typically accompanied by a very poor, blurry photo of an entirely unremarkable cent.  It's good this came up.  You don't want to believe anything Collector3745 says to you about coins.  He's a completely uninformed troll.  You just unfortunately, by coincidence, posted your first question about a coin which is one of Collector3745's favorite trolls. 

Edited by Mohawk

Forgive my low quality picture, i do not have a good camera and it was hard to focus my phone while it was zoomed in so much.   It took the hands of a surgeon to provide the images as they are.

2Well put Mohawk-

All you have to do is look at the proper grammar and lack of spelling mistakes in his questions  to know it couldn't possibly be the Collector.

Notice he has posted another DD but it's a 1970 this time. Guess he ran out of 69's

Edited by Greenstang

Just now, jTrus said:

Forgive my low quality picture, i do not have a good camera and it was hard to focus my phone while it was zoomed in so much.   It took the hands of a surgeon to provide the images as they are.

Your picture's not bad for a newbie......I've seen far worse :).  Coin photography is tricky and it takes time and practice to get it down.  So no worries.

4 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Well put Mohawk-

All you have to do is look at the proper grammar and lack of spelling mistakes in his questions  to know it couldn't possibly be the Collector.

Notice he has posted another DD but it's a 1970 this time. Guess he ran out of 69's

He must have......I'm waiting for The Collector to come on here and proclaim that he's found a doubled die 1910-D VDB Lincoln Cent. 

Edited by Mohawk

34 minutes ago, jTrus said:

I am not Collector3745, I am completely new here.   I was just intrigued by the nature of the rim of the penny, since it really looks like it splits and is doubled on the left hand side of the penny.   My name is John, and this is the first time I have used this forum.  Thanks.

Although, I only have a few posts here, I am not new to forums.  Your initial post threw up some red flags.

If you're not him I apologize.  And welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, Coin Cave said:

Take a look here and see how I might have a problem.

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/416461-1969-s-doubled-die-obverse-🥰🥳/

I can see why you had concerns Coin Cave based on the photos.  But I honestly do not think that Collector3745 could ever be as coherent as this......that guy's posts are a complete mess.  He appears to have nearly no concept of proper use of English.....his diction and grammar are atrocious, he uses punctuation symbols like someone who has never seen them before and his spelling is even worse than everything else already stated.  I've honestly wondered about the actual age of Collector3745.....like, is he some stupid kid just being stupid?  And then there's the emojis that his mind and fingers projectile vomit all over his posts.  There's a reason that my reference to his content as hippo muckspreading caught on like it did....because all he does is fling *spoon* about.  Collector3745's hideously constructed posts are almost like a fingerprint.....even when he tried to suck everyone back in by seeming humble, apologetic and willing to learn, all of those elements were still there, though he was trying to suppress them.  I am of the honest opinion that Collector3745 is unable to construct a proper, coherent message board post.  He'd have to hire someone to do it for him.  John's post, on the other hand, was well written and well constructed.  It was coherent with good grammar, good spelling, good diction and no emoji vomiting.  The attitude is completely different too.  When Collector3745 was trying to suck us back in, you could tell that he was struggling with both his obvious shortcomings and his desire to troll in an attempt to write a coherent post, but even then, he didn't truly succeed.  His "fingerprints" were still visible.  John honestly had a question and wants to learn.  He was polite and well-spoken.  Totally different than anything by Collector3745. Can you tell that I've written and graded a lot of papers in my life?  If you want to learn to be suspicious of peoples' writing and how to forensically dissect it, become an educator ;)

Edited by Mohawk

21 minutes ago, JKK said:

I think we need to take some guidance from this and clean up our own act. Every new poster deserves benefit of the doubt even if posing a question that has resembled those of past pains in the *spoon*. Frankly, there was no good reason even to bring up the known troll here. All that does is have potential to make an honest new person feel uneasy, which is the last thing we should want.

Every new ID needs a full, fair, and free chance to ask a question and handle the answers like a mature numismatist, with us shrugging aside the past irritants we have experienced. People should also remember that they aren't just talking to one person, no matter how it might seem. They're talking to every new member or potential new member who is scanning the threads to see if this is as bad a snake pit as many other forums. We've all seen those kind of places and this ought never to become one.

John, I'm sorry there are some reflexes here that need a little bit of tuning downward. Please don't let it deter you. Welcome. You can learn a lot here.

You bring up some good points, Jonathan, and I think you're right here.  Though The Collector has been a real problem, if he causes us to chase away new members, then he's won.  He's successful at hurting the community.  I'm sorry for the role I played in the debate....I honestly was trying to help John out with my forensic writing dissection and trying to assert that I saw no connection between him and The Collector.  Maybe I went about that the wrong way and, if I did, I apologize.

To John: We had a hell of a time with this guy and I think that Jonathan has it just right.....the reflexes are still a bit tense and the urges to protect our community are still high.  Our feathers are still a bit ruffled.  Sorry about that.  Please accept his welcome and my welcome to our little community here.  It really is a good community and I think you'll be a great addition.  Please give us a shot and accept our apology :)

Looking forward to continued talks with you and with helping you along your collecting journey!
~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

Greetings John,

I am a relative noob to this site also, I had been here years earlier but only back a few months.  I can attest to the very high level of expertise and cordiality you will receive from all the veterans who have responded to this post.  So keep those questions coming, you are now officially part of the NGC Forum Family.

I will just jump in here and say "Welcome to the forum," and give an opinion on your coin. It does not appear to be a doubled die, but does seem to show some slight misalignment of the dies on the obverse, as others have pointed out. It also looks to have seen a bit of polishing/resurfacing on the reverse die, as evidenced by the almost invisible designer's initials just to the right of the memorial building.

Oh look he has another impossibly blurred coin!

If this was CoinTalk I'm think we had RareTim here, the king of blurred rare variety coin images.

Edited by Conder101

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Oh look he has another impossibly blurred coin!

If this was CoinTalk I'm think we had RareTim here, the king of blurred rare variety coin images.

Maybe the Collector should move over to Coin Talk.....I think he and RareTim would be new best friends.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

RareTim has been gone from there for some time now.

Ahh.....I wasn't aware....I've been gone from there for some time now, too :)