• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And now for the "good stuff" (Peace and Morgan dollars)

16 posts in this topic

Thanks for the input on the 1900-S I asked about.  I'll send it out to see what NGC says on the grade and post it when it comes back...

Now - dad's stash was pretty small.  Only a couple of rolls of dollars so finding these two in the portion that I got was most unexpected.  Would love to hear your thoughts on grades.  They'll definitely be going to NGC as well, but I'm impatient ad would like a "sneak preview" of what they may come back as.  I realize that my pics aren't the best and that nothing you say can or should be used against used on here... so feel free to throw some numbers out here (hopefully best guess, not wild fantasy.  These aren't PF70's xD)

1879 S Rev 78 (little toning on the obverse, reverse toning a bit deeper than showing here)

IMG_4481.thumb.JPG.be1bbf3f2d50a746908bcab6e4ed6869.JPGIMG_4483.thumb.JPG.5908567f87f2404a7a6e766e15bebe8c.JPG

1928 Peace (not the most spectacular example ever, but I like it :D )

IMG_4479.thumb.JPG.c4bcf6b7a4b4968fcd08b5270bca12f5.JPG

IMG_4480.thumb.JPG.e02504f53a99e9a07047dab8b1603127.JPG

Edited by Thompson2

For what it's worth from the board's resident Faustina the Younger coin guy (but who also worked at a brick and mortar and who actually did collect Peace Dollars back in the day), I agree with Bob's grade assessments based on the photos provided.  And I also agree that the 1928 Peace has a good look.  I've never liked Morgans, but I do still appreciate the beauty of the Peace Dollar design even though I no longer actively collect them.  There's something about them that reminds me of my beloved Roman Faustina coins.  Back in my Peace Dollar days, I'd have bought that 1928 any day.

Edited by Mohawk

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

MS62 and MS63, respectively.

That is on my phone. Looking at them on the laptop may be a different story.

This is more a test of my photography skills rather than your eye for grading.  But I still reserve the right to poke fun if you're way off.   :D 

3 hours ago, Mohawk said:

For what it's worth from the board's resident Faustina the Younger coin guy (but who also worked at a brick and mortar and who actually did collect Peace Dollars back in the day), I agree with Bob's grade assessments based on the photos provided.  And I also agree that the 1928 Peace has a good look.  I've never liked Morgans, but I do still appreciate the beauty of the Peace Dollar design even though I no longer actively collect them.  There's something about them that reminds me of my beloved Roman Faustina coins.  Back in my Peace Dollar days, I'd have bought that 1928 any day.

It's worth a ton more than my input.  :)  (And thanks for making me google Faustina the Younger... just had to make me learn something today, didn't you??) 

The dings on the cheek and the one heavy hit on the reverse were the things that gave me pause on the condition... Other than those, it's a nice coin. 

Now - for purposes of insurance when I ship these, $550 for the 1928 and $950 on the Morgan seem appropriate?  Or can I not read charts any more?  

And do I need to submit the Morgan under "Variety Plus" or will they automatically add the Rev '78 designation?

Thanks!  You guys make me wish I had more cool stuff to post up here...

4 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

This is more a test of my photography skills rather than your eye for grading.  But I still reserve the right to poke fun if you're way off.   :D 

It's worth a ton more than my input.  :)  (And thanks for making me google Faustina the Younger... just had to make me learn something today, didn't you??) 

The dings on the cheek and the one heavy hit on the reverse were the things that gave me pause on the condition... Other than those, it's a nice coin. 

Now - for purposes of insurance when I ship these, $550 for the 1928 and $950 on the Morgan seem appropriate?  Or can I not read charts any more?  

And do I need to submit the Morgan under "Variety Plus" or will they automatically add the Rev '78 designation?

Thanks!  You guys make me wish I had more cool stuff to post up here...

Hi Thompson!

Sorry about the late reply.  My in-laws needed our help with something, so I apologize.  I am so pleased that you googled Faustina the Younger!  You have to be careful researching her, though.....I've read in recent years that the Augustan History is almost entirely unreliable.  So, it looks like Faustina has somewhat of an unfairly bad reputation in some ways.  It just adds to the mystique for me to have a challenge in researching her, though (I'm actually a historian...I have a Master's in Historical Studies).....she's a fascinating person who issued some of the Roman Empire's most beautiful coinage.  I'm glad that I spread a little Faustina Awareness today.  I think my numismatic muse would be pleased.

Based on NGC's charts, it looks like your values are right on.  As for the 1879-S Reverse of 78, if you're not looking for a particular VAM variety, you can submit it as the 1879-S Reverse of 78 without having to pay the extra $15 fee, but you'll have to mark the variety in the variety spot on your submission form.  If you want a particular VAM, though, you'll need to pay the $15 fee. 

I hope that this is of some help Thompson!  Good luck with your submission.....those are both solid coins!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

14 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Sorry about the late reply.  My in-laws needed our help with something, so I apologize.

Yeah!  You should be.  Where are your priorities???  I mean, helping family and making some random guy on the interweb wait four whole hours???  Sheesh!  

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Absolutely no apology needed.  This is certainly not urgent and any help is appreciated (except for sending me off down a historical rabbit hole... lol).   When these come back, I'll post up NGCs pics since they are likely to be ever so slightly superior to mine. 

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Thompson2 said:

Yeah!  You should be.  Where are your priorities???  I mean, helping family and making some random guy on the interweb wait four whole hours???  Sheesh!  

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Absolutely no apology needed.  This is certainly not urgent and any help is appreciated (except for sending me off down a historical rabbit hole... lol).   When these come back, I'll post up NGCs pics since they are likely to be ever so slightly superior to mine. 

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind and fun reply!  And sorry about the historical rabbit hole as well....especially since it's one that can get as crazy as Faustina the Younger!  But, please do post the results when you get them back, Thompson.  I'd love to see how good my Peace Dollar eye still is......and I completely give you and the rest of the board full permission to tell me I now suck at Peaces if I blew it :).  But I think that Bob has a great eye, and since he came to the same conclusion I did, I feel alright about my grade vote!

Best of luck on your submission.......but I don't think you'll need it.  Those are quality coins.

~Tom

Peace I have no clue but the Morgan I can see a MS62 even with all the cheeky action.

My eye keeps on moving to the date though - it just doesn't seem right … Long day at work maybe  :-)

Good Luck on your submission

19 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

Peace I have no clue but the Morgan I can see a MS62 even with all the cheeky action.

My eye keeps on moving to the date though - it just doesn't seem right … Long day at work maybe  :-)

Good Luck on your submission

Considering where this was stashed, I'm putting the odds of it being a fake at pretty low (certainly not zero since I didn't pick it up new from the bank).  When did they start making fakes for these?  This one hadn't seen the light of day for at least 40 years...

I did notice there's some minor doubling on the 7 and it's not 100% in focus.. maybe that's what's making it look odd?

IMG_4481-date.thumb.jpg.11233bff0d1095e6119ecb9c76515e16.jpg

Edited by Thompson2
adding close up of date

1 hour ago, Thompson2 said:

Considering where this was stashed, I'm putting the odds of it being a fake at pretty low (certainly not zero since I didn't pick it up new from the bank).  When did they start making fakes for these?  This one hadn't seen the light of day for at least 40 years...

I did notice there's some minor doubling on the 7 and it's not 100% in focus.. maybe that's what's making it look odd?

Nice pic and yeah that looks better :-) - Told ya it was work  hehe

3 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

Nice pic and yeah that looks better :-) - Told ya it was work  hehe

Take the rest of the week off.  Tell your boss I said it was okay.  😁

1 hour ago, Thompson2 said:

Take the rest of the week off.  Tell your boss I said it was okay.  😁

That won't work. He is the boss.

Well, the results are in... more than a little disappointing... 

The 1928 came in as MS62 which was pretty much in line with what I was expecting (https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4740263-002/62/)

The 1879 came in as Cleaned Obverse / UNC Details... wah wah waaaaahhhhh.... .:censored:  The holdered pics look awful, which is weird because the unholdered pics they sent me looked really good... https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4740263-001/60/, versus 

4740263-001v.thumb.jpg.09242c108878a6c4f2e9ccc68bb13d1d.jpg

So how do I go about figuring value on this one now?  Looks like maybe $200 instead of $900?