• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Natural or artificially toned Proof Jefferson Nickel?

8 posts in this topic

Hi - need some help determining if the attached image shows a naturally-toned Proof Jefferson Nickel or is it artificially enhanced?  I've seen these before in PCGS and NGC slabs without a Details label so apparently there are specimens out there that are legit, but curious what folks think of the attached.  Thanks!

s-l225.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

Well....that's a tricky one.  I have seen some vibrantly toned proof Jeffersons of this era before, and they do tend toward the blue/violet side of the color spectrum.  I'm unsure on this one honestly.....but if I had to guess, I'd err on the side of caution and say that this one might have been helped along. But, I'm hoping that others will jump in here with their thoughts!

~Tom

I have seen older proof Jeffersons with vibrant blue to indigo toning, but I don't recall ever seeing a '64. That doesn't mean it can' t be natural, though.

We all have our opinions, and others with more experience with proofs may have a different opinion, but it looks a tad too vibrant to me. 

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have seen older proof Jeffersons with vibrant blue to indigo toning, but I don't recall ever seeing a '64. That doesn't mean it can' t be natural, though.

We all have our opinions, and others with more experience with proofs may have a different opinion, but it looks a tad too vibrant to me. 

It does to you, too, Bob.....I was thinking much the same.  I've got a 1964 in PF 67 that has light toning for sale right now, but even though it's light, it's one of the better toned '64's I've seen.  Usually when I see a proof Jefferson that is as vibrant as the one posted, it's from the 1950's or maybe 1960.  I do think this one was helped along some.

43 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Sorry for my rudeness, OP. Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I was rude tonight too.....I forgot to wish Don a happy belated birthday on his thread with his new halfpenny and his tales of coin shopping in London :facepalm:.  I fixed it though.

Thank you Mohawk and Just Bob - appreciate your insights on this one.  I too suspect this coin has been unnaturally modified.  I passed on the purchase.  Thanks again.