• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900-S Morgan Grading?

10 posts in this topic

I'm on the fence with whether to send this on in for grading or not... if it's just a VF, it's probably not worth it for me, but if it's closer to a 50-55 it seems like a no brainer... I can convince myself either way (despite my extensive, non-existent background in grading).  So, I figure a couple of pictures and some input from a more knowledgeable crowd should clear it up for me.  The pics came out pretty close to reality... still working on technique for that...

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

That looks like a nice one, Thompson.  But, I'm going to let Jgrinz jump in here and grade it......he's a Morgan guy and has a good eye for them and knowledge of the series.  But, for what it's worth from an Ancient coin guy, that coin could be worth sending off. 

42 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

It looks AU to me, although the glare makes it hard to see if there are any major hits on the surface.

Yeah, the glare on the reverse was my attempt to capture the reflectiveness of the field... Like I said - still working on technique... :grin:

Here's one that's not as representative of the color / finish, but shows more fine details in the field.   What's going on in the "we tru"?  I just noticed the weird shadows in there...

IMG_4441.thumb.jpg.bde1432f828f5067128eac54bbd89c90.jpg

Unbrightened obverse and some close ups of some reverse oddities (including the "we trust" section).  Just curious on the non-crisp looking letters. 

1572631193_IMG_4446-gammacorrect.thumb.jpg.db78640478efdb0a880b6d11b54fa8f9.jpg

1265933194_wetrustzoom.thumb.JPG.8cb8701027bfbfecee6a49897499ac7b.JPG

2132289820_Rzoom.thumb.JPG.337c9099203929ab6c33687ea2e13310.JPG880347462_RICAzoom.thumb.JPG.9e0f31818d75f5bfb7d9371dac43d7fc.JPG

Hi again Thompson,

In looking at your reverse photos, I'm wondering if you may have a little die deterioration doubling going on.  Most Morgan dollar dies were heavily used and abused and in looking at NGC's Coin Explorer page for the 1900-S Morgan Dollar, they note that there production quality issues with that particular coin.  Die deterioration would make sense, in my mind.  Maybe one of our classic US people will chime in again and give some insight as to whether or not I'm on the right track.  But, yeah, to me it looks like Die Deterioration Doubling.

As always, I hope that this is of some help!

~Tom

I had pretty much zero luck with any of the silver dollars I submitted... this one also came back as UNC Details / Cleaned (as did the rest of the Morgans I submitted - 1879/Rev 78, 1882, 1882S).    To say I'm bummed would be an understatement... 

And what's up with the holdered pics on NGC?  They look like *spoon* compared to what the coin actually looks like.  Seems like they should more closely match in-hand... 

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4740268-001/60/

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4740268-002/60/

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4740268-003/60/

Edited by Thompson2