• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Searching For an Early Commemorative Coin Researcher

11 posts in this topic

Looking for someone with at least two years experience doing research around the early commemorative coin series. Want proof of what you found so far, up to this date. Whoever I pick will be the recipient of stuff beyond their wildest dreams!

Email is probably best. Just post that an email was sent.

23 hours ago, 1946Hamm said:

Does this mean you're giving up on the book?

Best regards, Gary

Pretty much. Can't find the funding for three volume's of work.  Still working on it though.

I stil think if you can't find funding or a publisher willing to take it on you should look into the Print on Demand route.  It would be a shame not to have all that work see print.

I agree, it truly would be a shame. I don’t even collect U.S. coins at the moment and I find myself window shopping commemoratives after I read your posts here. I think your books would fill an important void. Not to mention it would be a crying shame to not be able to share all of the hard-earned knowledge you’ve acquired. 

Thanks all.

I'll re-look at POD.

This project started when I worked at DLRC/DGS in 2009. I started posting on the NGC and PCGS Coin forums with the chapters and information I had found. Folks said: write a book, write a book. So I then really started getting deep into researching the series.

Here is another concern for me: what is the price point? I don't want to price each volume out of a collectors budget.

Edited by leeg

leeg....

I would like to echo the others and say that I hope that you can find a way to get your work in the hands of collectors.  It'd be a shame to have your research (which, based on your passion for your commems, is likely excellent) lost.  But, yes, publishing can be very expensive and a lot of stellar research is lost because of this.  POD may be a good option....it'll likely cost much less than more traditional routes of publishing.  My sister used to work at a company that printed stuff for POD, and the savings for people were often substantial.  Sadly, she doesn't work for that company anymore (she moved to a company that designs and programs software, which is what she digs) or I'd be picking her brain for you.  Good luck, though.  I sincerely hope you can find a way to make it happen!

On 6/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, DWLange said:

You may want to apply for a research grant from the Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society (EPNNES). Those for 2019 have already been awarded, but another application period will open in January, 2020. Here's the application announcement for 2019:

https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n03a11.html

Opinion --

Doubtful if you'll get anything useful out of EPNNES. The "grants" are highly restricted. They are really just a way of getting content for the NNP site. Also, they come with restrictions that completely ruin your publication rights and opportunities. EPNNES wants first digital publication rights on NNP as soon as the book/project is published (paper or digital), and offers a very tiny sum of money for effectively destroying your ability to benefit from your work.

When anything is added to the NNP public, free access database, it is effectively thrown into the public domain. The author can claim all the copyright ownership they want, but once put onto a free, full text access site, the author's ownership is effectively dead. The author might also run into objections from copyright owners of images for which digital rights were not obtained in advance. "Fair Use" does not cover 700 pages.

If EPNNES supported printing to a meaningful extent - for the OP's book it would need to be 100% of printing cost - then there might be a benefit to researchers and authors. But under present conditions it is a losing proposition, and frankly, professionally insulting !

Edited by RWB

Thanks again folks. I put in for a CSNS grant, didn't get it.  I think POD is sounding better for me.