• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting NGC graded proofs to NCS - Do I risk lowering the grade?

8 posts in this topic

If I submit some NGC graded coins to NCS for conservation (to improve their look), do I risk lowering the certification grade?

Also, if I submit a 1942 proof set for "reholder" to individual holders, will the NGC certification for the individual coins remain the same? Can I request the half dollar for conservation without risking lowering the grade?  Or, would anyone simply recommend keeping the set in the single holder?

I am new to this slab grading. It is an improvement over the old days and ways (I last collected in the 60's).  I am collecting proofs again (up to 1964) and I am thinking it is probably a good idea to have them all graded and slabbed.  I suppose I need to remove the ungraded ones from the Capital holders to submit.  Am I risking the dreaded 'cannot certify' for ungraded proofs?  Has this been a problem in the industry?

Thank you for your time and comments.

s-l1600 (0).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

1942.jpg

Edited by Jim Lefeber

6 minutes ago, Jim Lefeber said:

Did I ask some stupid questions?  I see viewers but no replies or answers.  Thanks.

Hi Jim,

You didn't ask any stupid questions but you did ask a question to NGC.  Most of us on here don't actually work for NGC, we're just collectors like you are.  The NGC people only respond during regular business hours.  You'll likely hear from them tomorrow :)

Welcome to the forum!
~Tom

9 hours ago, Jim Lefeber said:

Thanks Tom. I posted this Thursday evening June 20.  How long does it normally take NGC/NCS to reply?

Sometimes they don't. I am still trying to find out why I can't see who likes my (or any other) posts.

Any way, back to your coins. I can see the haze on the first few coins, especially the quarter, and I can see why you would want to change the look of at least that particular one, but, if the multiholder were mine, I think I would leave it as is. They don't make those for regular customers any more - just for bulk submitters, I think - and the novelty of it really appeals to me. Just my opinion, though. Your mileage may vary.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Today is July 3 and I have yet to receive a response from NGC / NCS.  I will consider this topic closed and unanswered.

Thank you to "Mohawk" and "Just Bob" for their responses.

I think I choose to just leave the 1942 proof set in the NGC set holder and to leave the 1940 proof set alone in the existing holders.  Better safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, TON Collection said:

3 hours ago, TON Collection said:

Eisenhower coin did not arrive today I was disappointed that it didn’t show up but Monday I would think at latest

2 hours ago, TON Collection said:

28CD1AF2-2EF1-4D6E-BBD9-D463152E848C.jpeg

I came across this at coin shop and thought it had a better then average strike so I snagged it and left. Is it worth grading

893D77AC-9970-48F8-95D0-F3D2B034DEA5.jpeg

7 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

I think I’m close to do having it here what you all think?  It also has the serifs on the R in liberty

04CFD925-19B9-4B3C-9ED3-C0BAD9F5B56F.jpeg

3E662E45-B0A5-4D2E-946B-B9B242B5E6D5.jpeg

B2955A85-AAEB-493E-9555-7201B184964B.jpeg

B636B95A-CF60-465F-8CDF-24DCF52D3759.jpeg

• Administrator

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay.

If I submit some NGC graded coins to NCS for conservation (to improve their look), do I risk lowering the certification grade?

Once the NGC coin is cracked out of the holder, the grade is null and void.  Generally speaking, the grade will stay the same or go up.  

Also, if I submit a 1942 proof set for "reholder" to individual holders, will the NGC certification for the individual coins remain the same?

When re-holders are sent, they keep the same certification number.  Re-grades will receive a new certification number.

Or, would anyone simply recommend keeping the set in the single holder?  That would be up to you.

I am new to this slab grading. It is an improvement over the old days and ways (I last collected in the 60's).  I am collecting proofs again (up to 1964) and I am thinking it is probably a good idea to have them all graded and slabbed.  I suppose I need to remove the ungraded ones from the Capital holders to submit. 

We would prefer that coins be sent to us in 2 ½ x 2 ½ non pvc flips.  If you would rather send them in the Capital holders you can.

Thank you