• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentic 1893 s?

11 posts in this topic

Hello and Welcome Dylan!

Well.....I'm not an expert on Morgans, but I've noticed no one has responded to you so I wanted to at least respond.  You have a tricky issue there.....the 1893-S is the big business strike Morgan Dollar key date, and there are a lot of fakes of that coin.  For what it's worth, I don't think your coin looks like an obvious fake.  But sometimes genuine Morgans are altered to look like the '93-S.  Gradewise, I'm thinking VG with some obverse dings.  There are people here who do know Morgan Dollars well and I'm hoping that one of them will jump in here for you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Good luck!

~Tom

Looks real to me with those pictures and that's a G-6

Does have some harsh cleaning on the reverse but nice coin 

Edited by jgrinz

13 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Looks real to me and that's a G-6

Does have some harsh cleaning on the reverse but nice coin 

Thank you so much for jumping in Jgrinz!  As you know, Morgans are not my strong point.  I appreciate your help to both me and Dylan here!

Edited by Mohawk

11 hours ago, Dylan913 said:

Thank you guys for the input, I really appreciate it. I didnt think it was fake but im not really an expert on morgans. As far as the cleaning goes I cant complain too much being I got it for free.

Why can't I get an 1893-S Morgan for free?!  I could flip that baby into a ton of stuff for my Faustina the Younger collection!!  That's an amazing freebie, Dylan! Congratulations! ^^

Edited by Mohawk

Yeah I got it a couple years ago on my 14th birthday along with mostly barber dimes and quarters in a box my great aunt gave me. Im only missing the 1895 p for my morgan collection now.

There are a few die markers that are present on every 1893s Morgan that isn't worn completely flat. I won't post them here, in order to keep that information from the counterfeiters, but if you would like to send me a PM, I will be glad to share that information with you.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:18 PM, Just Bob said:

There are a few die markers that are present on every 1893s Morgan that isn't worn completely flat. I won't post them here, in order to keep that information from the counterfeiters, but if you would like to send me a PM, I will be glad to share that information with you.

You see something I dont see Bob

One die marker the picture isn't close enough to see -

Field looks a little funny around UNUM but I gave it a G6 look reasoning

Numbering looks okay with these pictures

PM me when you get a chance your thoughts

I am by no means a Morgan dollar collector.  When I saw the coin the other day my first thought was counterfeit.  I have reference books also.  It may just be the pics.  If you received the coin as a gift, then the price to have it graded is nominal.

After discussion with Bob and his discussion with the owner - It looks to be real as he says all die markers are in place.

What  makes these coins easier than most is that the coin 1893-s only had three dies - One obverse and 2 reverses.

They have distinctive areas of review.

There are a couple areas of concern for me now though which just dont hit right for me after really looking and thinking I may have been wrong.

The field above UNUM there should be no pitting even with a worn coin … looks a little bumpy there (possible environment issues)

and the second "U" in pluribus looks real odd. It may be just the hit it took displacing metal but has me concerned.

Without actual in hand or better pictures its a toss up but I am still on the 'real' boat as I do own one to compare to.  

If the OP could post a few more pictures straight on to the coin we could help determine better.

at "Liberty" straight down at the date and Mint mark on the reverse.