• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do with this coin?

14 posts in this topic

Any suggestions on what I should do with this coin? I'm pretty sure it's authentic but NGC identified it as not suitable for certification.

NOT SUITABLE FOR CERTIFICATION - Coins that are severely damaged or otherwise impaired. The surface condition of these coins makes it impossible for NGC to render a conclusive opinion about authenticity, Details Grade or both.

IMG_20190603_152849349.jpg

IMG_20190603_152903499.jpg

Unless it would be contrary to their rules, list it on EBay at no reserve, include all of the non-decision language from NGC in quotes and don’t give your own opinion or talk the coin up in any way. 

Edited by MarkFeld

8 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Unless it would be contrary to their rules, list it on EBay at no reserve, include all of the non-decision language from NGC in quotes and don’t give your own opinion or talk the coin up in any way. 

Agreed with Mark.  However, I would contact eBay Customer Service before listing it if you sell on eBay regularly and any account troubles would be a significant negative to you, just to make sure you avoid any trouble.  A quick phone call should do the trick.

3 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

See if one of the other services will authenticate it for you.

That's a good idea as well.  ANACS certifies a lot of varieties that NGC and PCGS do not and they've been slabbing problem coins for longer as well.  It may be worthwhile to send it to them.  Maybe they'll be more comfortable in certifying this coin than NGC is.  With an 1893-S Morgan, even in that kind of condition, it'd be a worthwhile gamble in my opinion.  I'd give it a shot.

From what I can see, I think it may have the "rabbit ears", and the die line in the T.  Trying another TPG would probably be a decent idea.

8 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

See if one of the other services will authenticate it for you.

I think that’s a much better idea than I had.

7 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I think that’s a much better idea than I had.

And it was better than my initial idea as well, Mark.  For some reason, my gut says ANACS would work for this one.  They have a lot of experience with problem coins......that's where I'd send this coin if it were mine.  I think that GW is likely to run into the same problem at PCGS as he did here at NGC....but once again, that's also a gut feeling. 

Edited by Mohawk

I had an interesting thought that might simplify the process.  Skip Fazzari, a former NCS/NGC grader and now ICG grader, posts as Insider2 on the CU Forums.  Skip likes this sort of thing to show off (not a snide remark - he's a nice guy, but he likes to impress others).  This would be right up his alley. Post this with the NGC results, better images, and then make a "contest" thread to see if you can convince Skip to do all the work for fun (read as free) based on the images/diagnostics.  If he is successful in authenticating it, print Skip's notes and submit to ICG.  :devil:  You'll know ahead of time before spending submission fees and all of the postage and insurance.   If he can't tell you based on the photos, I'm sure he'd love to examine it under his electron microscope if you submit it to ICG.  :wink:  Either way, if you pique his interest, I think he would spend far more time on this than the average TPG/TPG grader would.

Edited by coinman_23885

2 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

I had an interesting thought that might simplify the process.  Skip Fazzari, a former NCS/NGC grader and now ICG grader, posts as Insider2 on the CU Forums.  Skip likes this sort of thing to show off (not a snide remark - he's a nice guy, but he likes to impress others).  This would be right up his alley. Post this with the NGC results, better images, and then make a "contest" thread to see if you can convince Skip to do all the work for fun (read as free) based on the images/diagnostics.  If he is successful in authenticating it, print Skip's notes and submit to ICG.  :devil:  You'll know ahead of time before spending submission fees and all of the postage and insurance.   If he can't tell you based on the photos, I'm sure he'd love to examine it under his electron microscope if you submit it to ICG.  :wink:  Either way, if you pique his interest, I think he would spend far more time on this than the average TPG/TPG grader would.

@GW He posts as Insider over at CT as well if you have an account at one and not the other.  I am worse than useless when it comes to these...my first thought was 'make it a pocket piece'.  Obviously there is more here going on than that (:

9 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

Now that is a good idea!  I didn't even consider ICG and I didn't know that about Skip Fazzari before.  That '93-S would be a good challenge to someone who wanted to accept it, and it sounds like Skip's that kind of guy.  I'd give it a try GW!

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

I was going to ask Conder what he was talking about when I decided to look myself and came across this... I would like to thank 2008 Conder for the answer.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30975

Conder is a veritable fount of knowledge, whether it's 2008 or 2019.  But, I think that this is the first instance of a zombie answer appearing on the board.....usually it's zombie posts.  But, either way, well done Conder!