• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to sell coin collection

4 posts in this topic

I inherited a rather large collection of coins from my father that I would like to sell.  Some are mounted and graded, some are not, some are in rolls, some are loose coins, some are mints sets, some are proof sets, and some are just loose pocket change that my father saved.  He bought and sold coins his whole life and would save his pocket change and then sift through it.  I guess he was looking for that diamond in the rough.  There are thousands of coins, old and new.  Hundreds and hundreds of wheat back pennies, silver coins, foreign coinage, commemorative coins, and paper money, domestic and foreign.  There are also a few gold coins.  I don't know how to go about valuing the collection, without paying a coin collector.

dak

Edited by dak403

Get a red book and take your time. Pick a denomination or collection and do a quick research of it. For example. mercury dimes see if the 16D is  there. Lesser dates are 21 and 21D and 42/1 . The rest you should know at a quick glimpse if they are "special" or in terrific shape. Take your time to get familiar with each set and then decide how to get rid of it and not feel ripped off. eBay is the great equalizer but you will have to do some work selling on that platform. If you aren't strapped for cash then pace your self. You might even get the coin bug like your Dad :)    Good luck and have some fun