• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

State quarters

6 posts in this topic

Greetings ladies and germs. Stumbled on these 1999 state quarters, Georgia. Can ya tell me what's going on with the reverse  on right side. Is that a off set?

IMG_20190613_222713860.jpg

IMG_20190613_222856544.jpg

Hi Kramden,

Haven't heard from you in a bit.....it's good to see you back.  Well, onto your coins.  In looking at your photos, I think the coin in question is damaged.  It doesn't look like an off-center error to me.  The obverse is also heavily damaged, which indicates to me that what happened to the obverse also impacted the reverse.  The other coin looks like it may be missing some details on the obverse.  If it is, that's likely from a grease filled die.

As always, I hope that this is of some help!

~Tom

Thanks guys for all the input. Now I got these 1982s. One a d the other Philly. Is the d a small date? Kind of hard to tell difference in the space from the edge...tnks

IMG_20190624_161608709_HDR.jpg

If a die has been resurfaced, the letters and numerals will be a tiny bit smaller and farther from the edge and each other. That could be the case with your Large Date cent.

2 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

If a die has been resurfaced, the letters and numerals will be a tiny bit smaller and farther from the edge and each other. That could be the case with your Large Date cent.

Bob brings up a very good point which is important to consider in evaluating coins for varieties.  Die polishing and resurfacing often change the appearance of design elements slightly on coins, but these slight changes are noticeable to people who are taking a close look at coins.