• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Kennedy Half Missing FG

7 posts in this topic

Let me star off with you don't  see much Kennedy coins question. Usually it's all about pennies and other denominations.  

With that, i came across  this 1974 Kennedy  Half missing FG. 

Or so I thought.  It may have been a faint FG to being with that was worn down. 

What do you all think? 

20190613_163725.jpg

20190613_163733.jpg

Hi Duke,

In looking carefully at the photos you provided (which are quite good, btw.  Thanks for that), I believe that I see the remnants of a G in the place where the initials should be.  Your coin is pretty banged up.....this, combined with the G remnant, leads me to believe that the FG was mostly lost due to the damage the coin has suffered.  However, there are legitimate no FG errors out there (I think the 1966 and the 1982-P are the most well known) that are worth looking for.  It's good that you checked that on your coin.

Better luck next time!

~Tom

Thanks, Tom, @Mohawk

I didn't notice how severe the damage was until I took the pictures. Your input confirms my suspicions and I was looking for confirmation. I was not aware that the 66 and the 82-P had FG missing. I always thought it was the 71. :D  

Edited by Dukemnm

15 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Thanks, Tom, @Mohawk

I didn't notice how severe the damage was until I took the pictures. Your input confirms my suspicions and I was looking for confirmation. I was not aware that the 66 and the 82-P had FG missing. I always thought it was the 71. :D  

Hi Duke,

Glad to help.  The No FG error can be found on many dates of the Kennedy half.  There are even more dates that are just missing the F of the FG.  I believe the 1971 is one of the No FG dates, but the 1966 and the 1982-P seem to be the best known, at least in the circles I run in outside of the board.  I've also found No F errors on the 1977-D and the 1974-D, so it may be worthwhile to check those dates as well.  I'd honestly say that these kinds of errors are possible on any date of Kennedy Half, but would likely be most prevalent on coins from the 1960's to the mid 1980's, based on my experience.

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

I did come across the no F only variety when I was browsing the NGC page after you told me about the 66 and the 82-p very interesting.  And to think that I wasn't  paying  much attention  to those and putting  them back in circulation. Lol

Manuel

13 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

I did come across the no F only variety when I was browsing the NGC page after you told me about the 66 and the 82-p very interesting.  And to think that I wasn't  paying  much attention  to those and putting  them back in circulation. Lol

Manuel

Well, I'm glad that I got to you before you did that, Manuel!